CHAPTER FIFTEEN: HELL BREAKS LOOSE

Kate felt like she was the luckiest girl alive as Aidan kissed her fervently and passionately. Never in her wildest dreams had she imagined that he would love her back; had almost given up hope of having her love returned.

When she had realized that she was biased and would never find another woman good enough for Aidan, she had decided to confess her feelings to him. After breaking off her commitment to Edward that is. She could not allow herself to face the reality of never loving someone else whilst she was still engaged to another; it would be too much for her to bear. That was why she had called her fiancé for dinner to talk to him and return his ring.

Edward Bigfoot had not taken the news so sportively and she had needed all her patience to explain to him the situation. Apparently, Edward was an even bigger fool than she had contemplated; he had not even a small hint that there was something wrong in their relationship.

“Why Kate? Why two weeks before the wedding?” he had asked sounding hysterical and Kate had sighed. He must have felt the lack of passion between the two of them. Hell, they had never even kissed properly forget about setting sparks!

“Edward, look. We’re not compatible. I know it’s late and there will be much speculations but trust me it’s better this way.”

“Better for who? Seriously, I don’t see why you are breaking off the wedding,” he had said looking outraged which had rendered her frustrated. How to make him understand something that was obvious to her?

“But there was never anything between us, at least not from my side. I was getting married to you only because of the pressure from my family but…” she had hesitated. It was difficult for her to tell someone she did not love him so bluntly. But the she had thought better hurt him now than make him wait forever. She owed him at least that much. “…I don’t love you,” she had said finally her voice coming out calm and strong.

“Oh come on! Don’t be silly. I mean it’s normal for you to be having pre-marital jitters but you must manage your insecurities,” he said in a cold voice seeming unaffected at her latest confession. “I’m sorry I cannot cancel the wedding now! I have incurred so many expenses and…”

It was then that Kate knew she would never have fallen in love with such an egoistic person. No matter how many years it would take, she would never bring herself to fall for that… that guy! Was that all that mattered to him? The expenses? Finally, she realized that she was doing the right thing; she had the right to be selfish this time because it was question of her whole life.

“Don’t worry, I will reimburse you,” she had told in a deceptively calm voice when all she really wanted to do was slap him hard. Twice.

“I didn’t mean that!” he amended quickly realizing how shabby he had sounded. “What I meant is that we just cannot postpone the wedding on a whim. There…”

“That is where you are mistaken Edward,” she delivered in a cold voice interrupting him rudely. “I am not postponing the wedding, I am cancelling it. There is never going to be a you and me thing. And if you still don’t get it, here,” she firmly replied removing her engagement ring from her middle finger and handed it to him. He stood there looking stunned and Kate grabbed his hand and forcefully thrust the ring in his palm before running upstairs.

Feeling as if a heavy weight had been lifted off her slender shoulders, she went to Aidan’s room to tell him how much she still loved him. But he had beaten her to it. It was what more than she had ever hoped for.

Now that she was free from her previous relationship and had the love of her life in her arms, she kissed him back with all the pent-up love she had kept hidden from him all those years. After several hot kisses which was driving her over the edge, she drew back and watched him sure that her eyes were glinting with so much happiness.