Minizerk-10 Years

Inspired by a bit of the song in the media. I'm struggling for ideas so if theres anything you want to see let me know :)

*it's been ten fucking years since I've been seeing your face around here*

JJ's death had come as a shock to everyone. JJ had always been so full of life, no one had expected that to change. But it did. JJ died of wounds sustained in a car accident on the 5th of October 2027.

The sidemen had drifted apart during 2016 but Simon made sure to keep in contact where possible. He had the most contact with JJ since they had been friends before YouTube but he had been able to speak to each of the others most months but not Josh. Josh had left as soon as the sidemen ended and hadn't returned to London or spoken to any of the others since. Simon wasn't even sure Josh had heard about JJ. Josh had left them all and it was safe to say Simon was a tad bitter. But that was how it was and Simon just had to accept it.

Simon has thought JJ dying had been the hardest day of his life, what he hadn't realised was how much more final it would feel during the funeral. Hearing about JJ like that was the hardest thing Simon had ever done.

Simon was crying heavily by the time it was his turn to talk about his experience of JJ.  He glanced around the room seeing several familiar faces and the door open slightly for someone wearing a hoodie to slip in the back. "JJ was a character to put it simply. He was energetic, friendly, fearless, and just the right amount of crazy. " Simon stopped his voice getting caught in his throat and sobs beginning to fall from his lips. He glanced at the funeral goers before shaking his head. "I'm sorry" he said finally as he stepped down from the front and returned to his seat.

Once the funeral ended everyone reconvened outside the church to give JJ's parents their condolences. Tobi stood with Simon holding the taller man tightly in his arms.

"I'm sorry" a voice interrupted their embrace.

"Go" Tobi told the speaker firmly as Simon pulled away to see who was speaking.

"Josh" 

"I'm sorry for your loss" Josh said sheepishly.

"Why are you here" Tobi asked rubbing Simons shoulders to keep the blonde man calm.

Josh shrugged and bit his lip as he looked at Simon regretfully.

"Don't Josh, don't do this. Leave him alone. You've hurt him enough. Today isn't about you" Tobi jumped in immediately.

Josh opened his mouth to reply but stopped, glanced at Simon then nodded. "Of course" he said before turning to leave.

"Why did you never reply?" Simon asked quickly as Tobi began to pull him away.

"I never knew what to say"

"That's not good enough Josh" Tobi said firmly as he pulled Simon to the car ready to head to the wake.

"I love you Simon!"

"You've got a funny way of showing that Josh" Tobi replied as he gently pushed Simon into the car. "Leave him alone, let him heal. You've hurt him too many times"

"I've changed"

"Have you? Because I don't think you have. You haven't spoken to him in over ten years before today" Tobi said angrily as he got into the car.

"I wrote letters" Josh replied quickly.

"He didn't get them" Tobi said slamming the car door shut.

"I never sent them" Josh whispered as Tobi began to drive away with Simon sobbing in the seat next to him.

----------------

Simon woke up at 11am the next morning and pulled himself out of bed and downstairs to get a drink. He stopped on the stairs hearing Tobi talking to someone at the front door.

"You've hurt him enough, just go"

"Tobi please, just give him this. I never wanted to hurt him. You have to believe me"

"Josh no. Just leave him to heal, you won't be here long anyway, another couple days and you'll be gone again"

"Tobi please believe me. I'm here to stay if he wants me to. He deserves an explanation."

Simon shook his head having heard enough. He continued down the steps to the front door, snatched the small box from Josh's hands and shoved the other man away from the door before slamming it shut and stomping into the kitchen. He tore the box open quickly and shook its contents out onto the kitchen table. A picture, two envelopes and a small black box.

Simon looked at the picture first is was of him and Josh at a party before anything had changed among the sidemen. Both of them looked carefree and happy, blissfully unaware of what was to come. On the back Josh had scrawled the date the picture was taken.

Simon looked at the envelope next. It was addressed to him but dated for 2016, the day Josh had left to be exact. The letter inside was mostly illegible, Simon was only able to make a few sentences out.

I was scared to tell you this in person.

My mum needs some help

I know it's bad timing

I can't leave them all alone

I'll be back when I can

I hope you forgive me one day

I've got something planned for when I come back. I'm sure you'll love it

Simon wasn't sure to make of the letter, from what he could tell Josh had left to go help with a family problem and had intended to return, clearly something had changed when he was gone. Simon shrugged it off and picked up the small black box carefully opening it to reveal a silver engagement ring with a finger print across one side of it. On the underside of the lid of the box was a small folded note.

I was going to propose when I came back, I swore to myself I would so I am. I know this isn't what you or I ever imagined but Things didn't work out. I'm so sorry, I wish you would let me explain. But that doesn't matter, I can't let myself move on unless I do this.
So Simon will you marry me?

"Tobi!"Simon shouted and the younger man came running stopping short when he saw what Simon was twiddling with his fingers. "I think I want to hear him out"

"Simon" Tobi said shakily "what's that ring"

"Josh proposed" Simon paused "well kinda I need to speak to him"

"You're going to give him another chance"

"I believe in second chances Tobes why not give Josh one" Simon stopped "wait don't answer that. I'm going to give him a chance, I don't want to let things end on a what if"

Tobi nodded understandingly "I have his new number if you wanted it" he offered and Simon nodded immediately. "Just don't let him hurt you again okay"

If anyone has any requests let me know. It can be ships or prompts I don't mind. I'm also not picky about ships so don't worry about that :)