11

"I just wish our mom had trusted us enough to tell us about all this."

"What is it? What's wrong? How are you both not ultra freaked out by all of this?" Simon questioned.

"I guess I just always felt like there was something missing." Clary said looking at Simon then to her brother. "Some void I couldn't quite explain. Things are finally starting to make sense."

"But none of it's gonna matter unless we get our my mom back." Just as Zeke said this Alec and jace came back

"Then let's do that. Clary. Zeke. Come on, it's all clear. Let's go." Jace spoke walking over to them.

"You have to understand, the Silent Brothers aren't like us."

"They lack your charm and superior people skills?"

"Yeah, most people do." Zeke let out snort before trying to cover it up by coughing, "I heard that. Brothers communicate without using words, using just their thoughts. That doesn't sound so bad. Don't let their silence fool you. They'll hold the Soul-Sword to your head, and with its blade, carve the truth from your mind. If you're not strong enough, you will die."

"I take it back. That sounds level ten bad." Zeke chuckled.
"Clary, you should know, the pain will be excruciating. You don't have to..." Jace said whil putting a hand on her shoulder.

Zeke walked closer and picked his hand up off her shoulder. "That's right. She doesn't have to do this. Because I am so, Clary, you can stay out here where it's safe - well somewhat - with Simon." Clary frowned opening her mouth but before she could say anything Zeke covered her mouth with the hand that wasn't holding Jace hand.

"Nope. I'm doing it. End of discussion." Zeke and Clary start walking towards the group.

"You can do this. You're Zeke freakin' Fray. You can do anything." Simon said.

"I'm ready for a big ass sword to stab me in the forehead."

Simon tried to walk inside but was stopped by Jace. "All right, hold up."

"Surprise, surprise. No mundanes allowed, just like in the training room, right? Wrong! I've seen every horror movie ever made and the funny best friend who gets left behind... dead man."

Jace laughed. "You're not that funny. But by all means, go ahead. Of course, the minute you enter, you'll die."

"Problem is, now I don't trust you."

"He's not lying. Now. He was before." Izzy said with a smirk.

"The rune energy in the City of Bones will kill any mundane who dares to enter, so, please..." Alec said looking at Simon with a non-caring look.

"The Brothers creep me out. I'll mind the mundane." Izzy sighed.

"Your sacrifice is noted, Izzy."

"Talk about sacrifice. I'm missing a financial analysis class."

"I can't be here anymore, so, Jace, I'm gonna mind the perimeter." Alec said walking offf.

"Bye Alec!" Alec ignored him and kept walking away making Zeke pout a little.

"Its ok. Zeke, just go be a bad ass Shadowhunter, all right? Get your memories back, save your mother. I'll be right here... guarding the entrance to hell." Zeke gave Simon a grateful smile pulling him into a hug before getting interrupted by Jace.

"Zeke, we have to go. Now." He said walking inside. Zeke let out a deep breathe.

"Wish me luck." Zeke then followed Jace inside.

______________________________________

As Zeke was catching up with Jace, he saw a bright light appear.

"Holy shit! What the hell is that?" Zeke looked at the ball like light in Jace's hand.

Jace rolled his eyes. "It's witch light. We carry it to remind us that light can be found in even the darkest of places. And it's cooler than a flashlight." He let out a chuckle.

"Wow...that's cool! Let me hold it! Please?" Jace gave him a shocked look before a small smile appeared on his face while putting the light in Zeke's hand.

"Let's keep going, yea?" With that Zeke and Jace starting walking until they reached a statue. "Wait,
is that supposed to be the Mortal Cup?"

"Yeah."

"Woah..." Zeke looked down at the writing near it. He noticed the language as Latin. "For Shadowhunters, the descent into hell is easy." Jace looked over at him shocked that he know the language. "Learned it in high school."

Jace nodded. ''The Shadowhunter creed."

They walked deeper into the city of bones lost in their thoughts not saying a word to each other.
Zeke seemed to be thinking about everything and nothing at the same time.

Jace just seemed to be thinking about getting out of here as soon as they can.

"Shadowhunters......" A deep voice was heard making Zeke jump.

"What the hell was that?!" Jace let out a slight chuckle.

"Come into the circle. Step away, Jace Wayland."

Jace let out a scoff. "I'll be right here."
Zeke nodded his head giving Jace a thumbs up.

"The search of your unconscious...is a perilous one." Zeke turned to face the one in front of him.
"My memories are gone and I need your help."

"If you are not strong enough... the Soul-Sword will kill you."

'Go be a badass Shadowhunter.' Simon's voice was heard in his head.

'Remember you were born to do this.' Izzy's voice.

'Zeke, I want you to remember that you are strong. You wouldn't be my baby boy if you weren't.' He heard his Mom's voice picturing her smiling face.

"Do it." The sword came down making Zeke scream.

Zeke's ten year old self was sneaking out of his room because he could hear his mom and Luke angruing. He peaked his head around the corner of the wall and saw them standing there.

'Jocelyn, you need to tell them the truth. What you are doing isn't right.' Luke seemed to be walking to Clary's room but was stopped by his mom grabbing his arm.

'No... I can't tell them that their father is the most dangerous man. I can't.' It seemed his mom was close to tears.

'Valentine is dead. He can't hurt them.'

That's when the scene was cut and Zeke was brought back from the movie like memory. "No..."

"This can't be! What happened?!"

"Zeke, what did you see?" Jace could see that whatever he saw was taking a toll on Zeke.
Zeke shook his head. "That's not true!"

"The sword reveals what it can reveal."

"Zeke! What did you see?"

Zeke shook his head tears seemed to fall without him knowing.
"Valentine is my.... father."