10.

Every night that week, Emmeline had been sitting in the common room with the girls. Alice was in love with Frank Longbottom, and while Isadora and Marlene were fascinated, Emmeline was bored with all their "talks".

Instead she focused her attentions on the three boys in the far corner, who appeared deep in discussion. Remus Lupin was extremely pale on Monday night, and as the week progressed he continued to look even worse. Emmeline liked Remus quite a lot, having had spent some time studying with him and Lily in the library last year. Now, Lily seemed to be too busy to meet up for their weekly meetings, and without her the little threesome had fallen apart.

Some nights, James joined the boys. Emmeline noticed their difference immediately. Sirius became more animated, Remus made more of an effort to look lively, and Wormtail was more eager. She felt sad, now, watching the three of them alone. Without James, the Marauders seemed deflated, which she could relate to. Emmeline missed Lily just as much, if not more so.

Lily seemed to be too busy these days to visit her friends. She was always on patrol, or spending time with the fabulous Art, or studying. And really, Emmeline didn't find Art that fabulous. He was egotistical and selfish, and thought so highly of himself that Emmeline was surprised Art hadn't suggested renaming Ravenclaw Quidditch team the Soaring Scamanders, or something equally as vomitous. And the team wasn't even that talented!

Emmeline stood up decisively. "I'm going to visit Lily," she told the surprised girls, who nodded, sent their greetings with Emmeline and returned to their discussion of children's names.

Emmeline let herself out of the portrait hole and made her way down the closest staircase. The Head's tower was on almost the opposite end of the castle to the Gryffindor tower, but luckily for Emmeline, her path fell directly in line with the Ravenclaw common room. As she passed the corridor that led toward it, she was tempted to go and ask if she could see Benjy Fenwick. But that was stupid because she had only spoken to the quiet, handsome Fenwick three times, and Emmeline didn't think she would know what to say.

So instead, she headed for the Head's Tower, and quite by chance ran into James Potter.

"Hi Em," he greeted her softly, hands shoved deep in his pockets, a frown creasing his brow.

"Is Lily in the tower?" Emmeline responded almost immediately, then kicked herself mentally. Of course Lily was in the tower. From the look of James, it seemed she wasn't alone, either.

"Scummy there too?" she asked, in a softer voice. James nodded sadly.

Emmeline smiled kindly, amazed that Lily had refused to notice this wonderful, sensitive boy who stood before her, miserably suffering the effects of unrequited love.

"Hold in there James," she told him kindly.

He smiled sadly. "Oh, I will," he reassured her. "Lily's worth it. I'm just not sure I deserve her."

Emmeline scoffed. "That's ridiculous," she told him. "You're three fold nicer and smarter and more talented than Scummy. Lily just… can't get past his looks I guess."

James laughed wolfishly. "Thanks, Em. That makes me feel much better. Scummy's more attractive, is he? I always thought he looked a little girly."

Emmeline rolled her eyes. "Fishing for compliments, are we? Yes, Art is very pretty. But I think you have nicer eyes."

James nodded slowly, looking very thoughtful. "Do you fancy a trip to the kitchens, Em?" She must have looked surprised, because James immediately sought to clarify his offer. "I guess we're both a little lonely without Lily, that's all. And my misery would sure love some company."

Emmeline looked up at him thoughtfully. "You really do like her, don't you James?"

He nodded shortly, a faint tinge of red staining his cheeks. "How about that supper, Vance?"

Emmeline laughed. "Fine, then, Potter. Lead the way."

"Art?" Lily asked, lying in his arms on the bed.

They had just finished a particularly intense kissing session, and as usual her boyfriend now chose to lie in silence.

"What, Lily?"

"Am I attractive?"

Art sat up, raising his eyebrows. "I think so. Potter thinks so too. Mind you, I haven't seen much of you to tell. But from what I've seen, Lily, you're very beautiful."

Lily nodded shortly, and waited for Art to lie back down. Instead, the boy stood up, tossing the blonde curls from his eyes.

"Actually sweetheart, I have to go. I promised I'd see the boys tonight, I knew you wouldn't mind."

Lily nodded again, and left it to Art to show himself out.

Not for the first time, she wondered what Art saw in her. Not a lot, obviously, as all he ever spoke about was himself, and it seemed that all he thought about, regarding her, was that she had a pretty face and that he hadn't seen her naked. Lily sighed. She hoped there was more to love than this, she really did. But who knew? Petunia had married a fat, ugly, foul tempered, well off man. Vernon did not appear particularly affectionate either, and perhaps this was the normal thing. Maybe love was about selfishness.

Lily made her way down stairs, feeling the need for a good book. Searching the study, she was pleased to discover a small, tatty copy of muggle fiction hidden between two old spell books. Pride and Prejudice was exactly what she needed.

Lily woke up to the sound of laughter. Sitting up on the lounge, her book slid to the floor unnoticed as she saw James and Emmeline enter the common room together, laden with a small feast. Both stopped when they saw her, looking surprised.

Lily was equally as shocked. James and Emmy?

"Ummm… hello?" she asked.

James smiled. "What happened to Art?" he asked tightly.

"Oh, he left ages ago."

James and Emmeline exchanged a look that Lily couldn't read. They seemed to come to an agreement, however, and moved forward to set the food down on the table in the centre of the room.

"Ice cream, Lily?" Emmeline offered.

Lily frowned. "Can I have a word with you for a moment, Em?" she asked cautiously.

James and Emmeline exchanged another secret look before Emmeline nodded. Lily promptly dragged her into the study and shut the door.

Turning to her friend, she raised her eyebrows. "I thought you liked Benjy?"

Emmeline's mouth gaped, surprised, but Lily pushed on.

"Not that I mind, I think it's nice that you've found someone. Potter is nice enough, and Merlin knows it means he might grow up and stop annoying everyone if he has a girlfriend… But I guess I just wanted to tell you I'm happy for you both."

Emmeline looked at Lily hopelessly, shaking her head. "You idiot," she giggled. "James and I aren't together!"

It was Lily's turn to look equally as shocked. "But – you two, just then…"

"I was coming to find you, and I found him instead looking sad, and he told me you were with Art, so we went to the kitchens together. I cheered him up, because he's my friend and team mate and he looked sad, Lily. There's nothing else there, I promise."

"Huh," Lily responded stupidly. "If you say so, Em. You two look good together."

"Save it, Lily," Emmeline told her patiently. "He's only got eyes for one girl."

"Really?" Lily asked, surprised. "I've never noticed. Who?"

Emmeline felt like smacking her head against a wall at this point. Instead she shrugged. "That's for me to know, and for you to find out," she told her mysteriously. "Now if you'll excuse me, my ice cream is melting."