35.

James had scanned the room several times over before concluding his fellow Marauders had bailed on the Ball all together. That was until he overheard a rather hysterical second year girl being calmed by a circle of sympathetic friends, who were brushing snow out of her hair. Smiling slightly, James decided an investigation of the Entrance Hall was in order, to turf out the perpetrators. Unless of course, the perpetrators were the particular group of boys James suspected were behind this prank, in which case, he had every intention of joining them. He wandered casually out of the Great Hall to find, surely enough - thud – something cold and wet trickling down the side of his face.

Over near the stairs, his three friends broke into laughter. Sirius cuffed Wormtail over the head.

"Nice one, Wormy. Sorry Prongs."

Slicking the snow off his cheek, James moved up the marble staircase to sit beside Sirius. "What are you lot doing out here, anyway?"

Sirius blinked, reclining against a higher step. "Peter was getting depressed," he murmured, not meeting James' eyes. "Em and Fenwick were kissing on the dance floor."

James raised his eyebrows, not missing the significance of this event.

"Actually, Em's dancing with Lily at the moment – but that's not the point. What is Peter going to do about it?" he inquired quietly, so quietly that no one but Sirius was capable of hearing.

Sirius shrugged and plucked at his dress robes. "Absolutely nothing. She's happy: that's all that matters," he replied, equally as quiet.

The doors of the Great Hall opened again, and Sirius nonchalantly flicked a snowball toward the couple attempting to slip away unnoticed. They startled as the cool white power hit their fancy clothing, and scowled toward the stairs. Peter gave them a jaunty little wave.

"May I have the next dance?"

Lily and Emmeline had given up their waltz, and instead had settled themselves on the comfy chairs that lined the dance floor, watching the rest of the school chat, flirt and generally embark on a bit of winter cheer.

Now, Lily smiled up at Benjy and gestured grandly with her hand. "Of course, she's all yours."

Emmeline grinned at her as she stood and allowed Benjy to guide her back out into the throng of dancers.

"Lily!" A voice exclaimed behind her, and Lily turned in her seat to find Art Scamander moving to stand beside her, watching the dance floor with a knowing smile. "And how does such a beautiful young lady come to find herself all alone at this time of night? Prince Charming hasn't abandoned you to the elves, has he?"

"I think you mean dwarves," Lily told him coolly, standing up. "And no, he hasn't. He's busy: Head's stuff. You wouldn't understand. Good night, Art."

Lily turned and walked away, making sure she put a considerable amount of distance between herself and her ex-boyfriend before she wrapped her arms around herself, feeling positively forlorn. Art was right: where wasJames? He'd probably gone off gallivanting with his friends, and forgotten all about her.

No, Lily told herself firmly, knowing that the latter was not true. Don't be silly.

Air. I need air, she decided, and without much further ado, she set off toward the doors.

"Here comes another," Peter announced excitedly, watching the doors inch slowly open.

He exchanged an excited look with Remus, who was appearing increasingly tired of their little game. James caught sight of the distinctive dress-robes and wine-red hair, stopping Peter's attack only a moment soon enough. The four boys watched in silence as Lily hurried out of the Great Hall, arms wrapped around herself feebly, as if for comfort, and headed out the front doors. Flashing his friends an apologetic look, James stood and slowly made his way down the stairs, his athletic body showing every sign of restraint as he cautiously followed Lily out into the night.