37.

"It's a Marauder tradition," Sirius explained lightly as they made their way through the school on Christmas Eve. Today, as their work had been finished, Lily was allowed to join them, and she did so with a great curiosity.

"I hope you haven't been doing anything against the rules, Sirius," she told him sternly. "I'd hate to have to dock points."

"Oh come off it Lily, its Christmas!" Remus smiled. "Would we ever do something illegal?"

Lily frowned. "Well, there was that time…" She was cut off abruptly by a large hand covering her mouth.

"You heard absolutely nothing," James warned her, so seriously that Lily gulped and nodded, completely missing the laughter in his eyes.

In fact, James' warning and Remus' chastisement kept Lily silent for the entire trip down to the kitchens. Remus was right, it was Christmas, and she needed to relax and have fun. The boys had never meant (or, to Lily's knowledge,caused) any harm, and Lily was quite sure that James was determined for things to stay that way. Timidly, she slipped her hand into his, not darning to make eye contact, but at the same time obviously asking for forgiveness. He squeezed her fingers reassuringly, and she breathed a sigh of relief. Then, it occurred to her that she was being rather silly anyway; this was James after all, the boy who could never be angry with her. Plus, after all, it was Christmas.

"So what have you been doing?" Lily asked quietly. "Helping the house-elves cook?"

James grinned. "Naw…. Like Sirius said, it's sort of a tradition. Every year we go down to the kitchens at Christmas and teach the elves-"

"And Moony," Peter sniggered, earning himself a sharp jab in the ribs from Remus.

"- to sing Christmas Carols."

"Oh?" Lily murmured. It was the sort of 'Oh' one exclaimed when they couldn't think of anything more to say. "That sounds like…. fun?"

They had reached the entrance to the kitchens, and Sirius grinned as he tickled the pear. "Oh Lily, you have noidea…"

The kitchen was a chorus of noise. If Lily strained, she could pick up the gentle rhythm of song… Except that each busy house elf seemed to be singing to their own tune and rhythm. Of course, the noise ceased as the four boys and their guest filed into the kitchen.

"Good morning, everyone!" Sirius called brightly. "Ready for practice?"

Lily was astonished to see their little faces light up with broad, toothy smiles as they finished what they were doing and made their way toward the boys, forming themselves into three lines: front row sitting, middle row kneeling, and back row standing.

"We are ready, if you pleases, Masters?" a tiny, female elf in the front row squeaked, looking excited.

Sirius elbowed Remus. "In you go, Moony," he murmured with a patronizing smile.

Remus sighed reluctantly and moved forward to kneel beside the standing row of elves. The elf on his left, an elderly kitchen-hand named Barmy, bowed in greeting. Lily tried to hide a smile at the sight of Remus with the elves, something which none of his three other friends even bothered to do. In fact, Peter produced a camera and took a few photos.

"All right," James said. "One, two…. Three!"

The house elves began to hum, conducted by Sirius. Remus, looking distinctly embarrassed, tentatively joined in. It seemed that these were the first few opening bars, as suddenly the kitchen once again broke into noise.

"No, follow my hands!" Sirius commanded gently, kneeling in front of them and attempting to look stern but kind. "Let's start back from the first line."