36.

A lil' short..

The Monday before Christmas, the castle was suddenly flushed of a great majority of its students, who were returning home to their families for the holidays. Lily spent Sunday evening with Emmeline, helping her pack while her best friend talked happily of her return home, and of the day in London she and Benjy had planned together, the day before their return to school. Lily listened patiently, exclaiming at all the right moments, and was cheerful enough for Emmeline to miss the secret longing hidden within Lily's almond-shaped eyes. James, on the other hand, hadn't missed the arrival of a letter just before lunchtime, nor Lily's deeply saddened reaction. Her mother, the letter said, was feeling rather ill, and her father thought it might be best for Lily to stay at school that Christmas. James had given her a weak smile, and grasped her hand.

"Don't be so sad, Lils. The lads and me are all staying. You won't be lonely."

"You're not going home to a family who wants you there?"

James had shrugged, pulling her into a hug. "Dad will be working all holidays anyway. Besides, this is the last chance for Marauders to wreak havoc on Hogwarts over Christmas. Do you really think we'd miss it?"

Lily had laughed quietly. "No, I suppose not."

James had then pulled away and peered down at her, smiling. "I'm glad you're staying," he confessed.

Lily and Emmeline finished packing, and moved down to the common room, taking the comfy armchairs by the fire just as three fourth years vacated them. James sat with the Marauders across the room, and had found it impossible to miss Sirius' unblinking staring toward Miss Vance.

James nudged him gently. "Oi."

"Oi what?" Sirius asked crossly, tearing his eyes away for a moment to glare at James.

"Stop staring at Em."

"Was not," Sirius responded softly, and excessively childishly.

'Were too," James retorted, a smile playing around his lips.

Sirius stood up abruptly. "Fancy a trip to the kitchens, Prongs?"

"I do!" Peter replied eagerly, while Remus kicked him.

"We're staying here," Remus told him, smiling painfully at James.

James frowned, not wanting to leave any of his friends behind, but Remus merely shrugged.

"I'd like a chocolate muffin, if it's not too much trouble," Remus added.

Sirius smirked. "Oh, I bet you would, wouldn't you, Moony?"

James rolled his eyes and roughly dragged Sirius away, pausing by the fire and smiling at Lily and Emmeline.

"Fancy anything from the kitchens, girls?"

Lily smiled and shook her head, although Emmeline requested a pastie, smiling sweetly at them both all the while.

As soon as James and Sirius left the common room, James heard Sirius sharply expel his breath. Crossing his arms, the Head Boy raised his eyebrows.

"Is it really that hard to be around her?"

Sirius sighed. "Yes," he replied, sounding miserable. "Pete and I could form W.A.L.E - the "We All Love Em" fan club. It's bad, Prongs. You have no idea."

James scoffed, and rolled his eyes. "You seem to forget that I've fancied Lily for years."

Sirius shot him a look of disbelief. "But that's completely different!"