30.

Lily watched her potion bubble, torn. Snape was going out of his way to be nice to her - apologetic, even. And Lily, who had made it quite clear that an apology was no longer welcome, found herself almost forgetting what had even passed...

A laugh sounded from across the room, and she turned to see James and Benjy chuckling over their cauldron. In that split second, James looked up and caught her eye, and smiled. Lily smiled back, and as she did so, she felt Snape stiffen beside her, affronted.

"That's new." His voice was soft, and yet Lily didn't miss that tone of resignation.

She nodded and glanced sideways at him. "He's a good person, Sev."

Snape scoffed, leaning over the cauldron and examining its contents, in an attempt to hide the hurt in his eyes."Well you deserve to be happy, Lily."
His tone was lighter than he intended, and so false that Lily saw right through it. "After the disaster with Scamander I thought maybe... But no, if you really do like Potter, if you're sure that he's..."

Lily opened her mouth to respond, surprised. "James is a good person, Sev. I know you don't believe me, but frankly-"

Evidently, Snape did not wish to be frank. He produced three vials and proceeded to fill them, lips tightly drawn together. He pushed two across the table towards her.

"Here. Tell your friend to try this. It might help with..." He trailed off, shrugging. "I'll hand this in."

Lily bit her lip, eyeing the vials. Snape was quite correct; he was not the only one who had helped to produce the potion, after all. Lily knew very well the potential that the contents of those two small vials could fulfil. The trouble was, she also knew the risk.

On the other hand, Snape had gone to such a length to produce a peace offering... Lily pocketed the vials thoughtfully.

Somewhere toward the end of the double period, James and Benjy's potion exploded. James, who had been away from the cauldron, was talking to Sirius and Emmeline, and testing their Amortentia. Leaning in for another long whiff, James caught the scent of dewy grass, sweet vanilla and a hint of citrus that reminded James intensely of Quidditch and Lily.

Sirius leant over, in suit, and inhaled deeply. James watched him carefully, and didn't miss the flicker of surprise in his eyes, vanishing as quickly as it appeared.

"What was it?" James asked, grinning.

Sirius simply shook his head.

"Well I smell a wood fire, and old parchment, and caramel fudge," Emmeline announced, smiling dreamily. She turned to Sirius, raising her eyebrows in a look of superiority. "And none of that reminds me one bit of you, Black."

James could have sworn he saw Sirius wince.

"Caramel fudge?" Benjy had called from beside his cauldron, before ambling over. "I love caramel fudge. Mum makes it every week and sends me some, you know."

"Back to your cauldron, boys!" Slughorn berated them.

Obediently, Benjy hurried back, and that was when it happened.

"Gah!" cried the poor boy, covered head to toe in a sticky brown substance.

Slughorn waddled over, with a haste that was unusual for such a large man.

"Vance!" he barked. "You and Black seem finished, can you take Fenwick up to Madam Pomfrey? With the utmosthaste. You were brewing Firewhisky?" he demanded, disbelievingly. "Boys! I'm extremely disappointed in you both."