25.

Art Scamander strode into the common room, and made for the stairs. Before he could reach them, though, he froze, noticing them hovering above. Flashing a winning smile, he gave Lily a little wave.

"Lily darling, I just heard you were sick!"

"Save it, Scamander."

Remus looked at Lily in shock: he had never heard her voice so cold. Art's mouth opened and closed silently, in surprise.

"My darling, what's the matter?"

Remus moved to stand beside Lily, feeling the girl might want some support. Or rather, James would kill him if hedidn't. Although Art couldn't see it, Lily's legs were trembling.

"I'm not your darling Scamander," she told him icily, and gestured to the coffee table behind him with a careless wave of her hand. Much to Remus' surprise, the offensive scrapbook still lay there, as if on display to the entire world. Or, Remus concluded, more likely as if it had been waiting for Scummy. Curiously, Art turned around and looked at it, his eyes widening as he picked it up and flicked through the first few pages. With a snap, he shut the book, although Remus could not miss the fact that it remained in his arms. The knuckles that gripped the scrapbook's spine were white with rage.

"Lies!"

Lily smirked, her green eyes glittering contemptuously, her voice without an inch of mercy. "Get out," she told him. "Get out, and take that thing with you. We're over."

Art looked like he wanted to argue the point further, but Lily pushed herself up to standing and turned away from the railing, disappearing back into her room.

Remus raised his eyebrows at the young man, regarding him with a look of disgust.

"You heard her," he told him quietly, his voice carrying just the slightest trace of a threat.

Art scowled, clutching the scrapbook angrily, and left, slamming the Carved Witch's door shut. She cried out in surprise.

"Are you ok?" Remus asked softly, leaning in the doorway.

Lily was perched on the edge of her bed, looking at her hands. Looking up at him, she shrugged, rubbing her forehead tiredly.

"I'll survive," she croaked. "I just… Remus, what even possessed him to think he'd get away with it?"

Remus shrugged, slowly moving across the room to sit beside her. "I don't know," he replied honestly, before a ghost of a smile flickered across his face. "But if it makes you feel any better, Sirius sent each and every one of those girls a lovely letter yesterday. Art's not quite so loved as he thought."

Lily gave Remus a watery smile. "Remind me to thank him."

"Thank who?"

They both looked up to find James leaning against the doorway casually, his arms crossed loosely across his chest. Pushing his glasses up his nose with an air of casual elegance, he regarded them curiously. His eyes held many questions.

Remus kissed Lily's cheek, in a brotherly gesture of solidarity, and stood up to leave.

As he passed through the doorway, Remus paused and muttered something in James' ear.

James frowned, a single wrinkle creasing his forehead. He could have sworn Remus had just told him to "be gentle".

James shut the door, and walked slowly over to sit beside Lily on the bed, looking scarily determined. Lily avoided his hazel gaze, unsure of what to say.

Shouldn't you be in class?

Sorry I hurt you.

You're really not as bad as I thought.