19.

James swore so fluently that Sirius almost laughed. But laughing, of course, would have given them away. Not that James cared. He continued to gaze in despair at the map, watching what appeared to be Art and Felicity's dots... well... merging. The boys politely averted their eyes, looking at each other instead. James appeared to be truly miserable, and Sirius instantly regretted calling him.

On the other hand, he reasoned, this might finally be the ammunition Prongs needs to win Lily...

However, this seemed like an unlikely prospect, to James at least.

"I really didn't need to know that," he mumbled, running his fingers through his hair, as he was wont to do when anxious.

James had no idea how he was going to face Lily, that was for sure. James felt Sirius pat him awkwardly on the shoulder, and while it didn't really improve the situation in any way, there was comfort in having the solidarity of his best mate. Suddenly, though, Sirius' hand froze mid-sympathy-pat.

"Hold it," he hissed, remembering something crucial. Really, it was the whole reason they had been dragged into what only could be described as a mess. "What the hell is Skeeter doing up there?"

"Easy, Padfoot," James hissed under his breath.

Sirius and James were stuffed beneath the Invisibility cloak, struggling up the stairs to the Astronomy Tower. James was being particularly pedantic, and was consistently readjusting the cloak to make sure that not even a scrap of sandshoe was visible.

Sirius, on the other hand, just wanted to reach the top of the stairs.

Frustrated, James grabbed the back of his best friend's cloak in an effort to rein him in.

Sirius wobbled, shooting a scorching glare backward.

Then, the worst imaginable thing happened: Siriuswobbled.

James picked himself up gingerly at the bottom of the staircase, and attempted to knead the niggling pain out of his right shoulder. His body felt battered, and his eyes... Ah, no glasses... no wonder he couldn't see!

His glasses had snapped in the tumble - James could recall the sound of them breaking now.

Sirius eyed him guiltily. Having landed on top of James, he was in a considerably better state than his ruffled, rumpled, and undoubtedly bruised friend. The only thing Sirius had bruised was his ego. Picking up the broken glasses from the stone floor, he muttered a quick 'reparo!' and set them back on his friend's face with an apologetic look. James glared.

"No way."

Expelling their gasps as slowly and quietly as possible, the two friends exchanged incredulous looks, which seemed to confirm the odd spectacle before them.

Having finally made it, mercifully undetected, to the second and highest landing of the Astronomy Tower staircase, James and Sirius had stopped in shock. Thankfully, due to their current state of invisibility, Rita Skeeter did not notice their appalled expressions - although, in all likeliness she wouldn't have noticed them anyway. The girl sat by the doorway to the astronomy tower, peering inside. She was evidently enthralled, staring through the tiny opening in the doorway with such avid attention that James felt sick. Beside her on the ground, a long roll of parchment was spread, and what looked to be a Quick Quotes Quill was scrawling excitedly across the scroll's surface. Clutched in Rita's very excited grip was a camera.

Sirius raised his eyebrows at James - well, do you want to do the honours, or should I?

James shrugged, unconcerned, and without much further ado, Sirius raised his wand and stunned their victim. James caught her before she hit the ground.

Mischief Managed!On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara