chapter 1; a creepy vibe.

Softly, the music whispered its way through my small headphones, a familiar tune playing for the millionth time

Softly, the music whispered its way through my small headphones, a familiar tune playing for the millionth time. With my nimble fingers drumming along to the beat, I studied the many trees and people that passed by in the blink of an eye. Immediately, I was drawn to a large, upcoming sign, reading the words inaudibly, 'Welcome to Santa Carla.' A small breath escaped my lips, but was soon cut short as my attention was fixated upon the graffiti that coated that back of the rotting wood, 'Murder capital of the world.'

Well that wasn't on the brochure.

I could feel the car coming to a slow halt and my mother undid her seatbelt, turning around in her seat with that signature smile plastered across her face. Reluctantly I raised my hands up and slipped my headphones from my ears to around my neck. "So?" She questioned, leaning her head forward slightly towards me.

"So... What?" I repeated tilting my head to the side a little.

"Aren't you happy?" She added, her eyes glistening with hope.

Honestly? How was I supposed to be happy? I was told we were leaving literally two days before we moved. 'A fresh start. A new adventure.' Were her words as I recall. Ha, adventure my—

"Lily? Hello? Earth to Lily?" My mother pressed, waving her hand in front of my face. I blinked a few times, before opening my mouth to answer.

What am I supposed to say? Take me home before I stab somebody?

"Of course I'm happy." I said, trying my hardest to sound excited.

Hey, I know it was a lie, but this is my mother for God's sake. And I can't refuse her when she makes those 'you'll break my heart if you disagree' eyes.

"Good. Now, here comes the best part." She said, turning back around in her seat and smoothing out her white pencil skirt.

I sat forward, poking my head between the two front seats, "What part is that?" I queried, curiously.

"Unpacking." She said simply, bouncing her blonde locks up and down on the palm of her hands. She chuckled as I slid back in my seat and opened my car door, swinging my feet round and stepping out. My gaze immediately rested upon the large house in front of me. It kind of looked that the building from that movie... Amityville?

Oh God, is this thing going to eat me?

I stood for a few moments, just admiring the house, before smiling a little at my own stupid thoughts.

A small grunt echoed in my audits and I glanced over at my mum, who was beginning to tumble backwards with two large boxes stacked in her hands.

Uh oh.

I quickly raced over to her and grabbed her hands under the packages, steadying her and taking the boxes out of her possession in the process.

Man, no wonder she thought these were heavy. They really— Oh no.

A loud gasp erupted from my throat and before I knew it, I was sitting in one of the cardboard contraptions, with another on top of my head. A few books were in my lap and all the other items were scattered along the dirt. Shocked, I sat for a few seconds, trying to process what had just happened, when the light shone back in my eyes and I realised that mum had lifted the box off my head. We stared at each other for a few seconds, concern clearly written across her face. All of a sudden, we both burst out in a laughing fit, as she grabbed my hands and helped me stand, sending the last of the books that had landed on me to the ground.

"Are you alright?" She asked, after taking a few deep breaths and calming herself. I simply nodded before kneeling down to pick up the books.

"Ow!" I yelped as I felt something prick me though the pocket of my jeans.

Oh no. No, no, no, no, no. No, God, please, no.

I hesitantly reached my hand into my pocket, pulling out the remains of my Walkman. "Awh, man!" I whined quietly, letting the broken parts drop from my hand.

"Hey! No littering! We're creating a reputation here!" My mother scolded.

She acts like there is someone watching us constantly. Oh, God. If there is, they might've seen me wipe out on those boxes!

I hurriedly scanned my surroundings before signing quietly in relief. The coast was clear.

With a broken Walkman, a creepy vibe and my books lying in a mess, it makes me wonder what else could go wrong?