chapter 11; goodnight, bloodsucker.

"Jesus

"Jesus..." I mumbled softly, my gaze scanning my new surroundings.

The smell of sea salt and rotting wood immediately flooded my senses. I could see it affecting Sam too, as the boy scrunched up his nose, while the Frog Brothers were busy at work.

Edgar latched his hands onto a lace curtain, acting as a vail over a bed where a female slept soundly, "C'mon, man. Let's stake her." He growled, yanking the wooden weapon from his pocket at the same time Alan did.

"Don't you touch her!" Michael hollered from in front of me, hauling a stumbling Sam down along with him and grasping anything that could help keep him up.

The brothers shot away from the bed, "C'mon then, let's explore their rotting temple." With that, they disappeared.

Mike hobbled over to the girl, whom had pulled the covers closer to her face, "Star." Sam and I stood close behind, watching the scene before us, until I realised I wasn't helping by just standing dumbfoundedly.

My head snapped towards Edgar and Alan who were now racing towards a tunnel at the opposite side of the cave.

The sound of incoherent swearing reached my ears, causing my gaze to land back over to the blonde who was jabbing wildly at a large spider rested on his shoulder, "Get it—" I slapped my hand over his mouth before he could yell.

"Shh." I placed my finger to my lips before using my stake to swipe it off, shivering at the feeling of the creature below my weapon. Michael continued to gently shake the girl, causing me to lose interest and follow the two crazy siblings down the tunnel. It was dark and rank-smelling, but hey, I wasn't expecting to come down here into a rose garden.

"I feel a draft, I think there's something up here." Alan informed, shoving the torch into my hand as Edgar shoved passed me.

"Let's check it out, guys." Edgar ordered, making me follow, until I felt a hand placed on my shoulder, "Maybe you should stay here." The voice spoke.

I spun around to meet Sam's concerned gaze, "Hell no. I'm not letting you go down there by yourself with two psychos." I pressed.

Edgar and Alan froze, turning to face me, only to be met with my awkward smile, "No offence." With the shake of a head, they continued their work, as did Sam and I.

"Be right back, Mike." Sam called to his brother who was no longer in view, "I hope."

I crawled into the space behind Edgar, rolling my eyes as his butt waggled in my face, "'Let's go to Santa Carla' they said, 'it'll be fun' they said." I mumbled internally.