chapter 12; we're on our own.

Barking, yelling and a never ending ringing noise echoed in my ears as we entered the house

"Cool it, Nanook."

"He knows a bloodsucker when he sees one."

"Sam, take him outside."

I shook my head as a hand slapped down on my shoulder. Alan. "Hey, you okay? Don't go freaking out on us now."

It was then I took the time to actually absorb my surrounding into my mind. Sam had Nanook by the collar and was taking him outside, Alan had one hand on me and the other was holding two or three blood coated bags, Edgar was reluctantly holding the young boy I'd seen in the car and Mike was gently grasping Star in his arms.

I know you're scared, but so are your friends. We need to help them. Get yourself together, c'mon, Lily.

I said to myself, before I spoke up, "Right. Let's get moving."

All of us were almost at the top of the stairs when Sam's creepy, old grandpa stopped us, not even fazed by our appearance or who we were with, "Hey. You know the rule about filling the car up with gas after using it."

"No, Grandpa." Mike informed breathlessly.

"Well, now you do." And off he went.
That's when we continued our journey, stopping in Michael's room.

Sam was the first to talk, "Well, we definitely blew plan A."

"What now?" I added as Edgar and Michael lay our guests on the bed.

"We need to work out plan B and we've only got two and a half hours." Edgar instructed.

"Why two and a half hours?" I asked, following them as the siblings began to leave the room.

"Sun down. They'll be looking for us." I answered myself as though I had finally put together the pieces of some unsolvable puzzle. I gasped as Edgar grabbed my upper arm and hauled me out of the room, Alan pulling Sam behind us.

~

"Guys, we're on our own." Sam informed sunkenly as he exited the video store his mother worked in to climb onto his bike. The brothers turned their bikes around, whereas I dropped my skateboard to my feet. I wasn't trying to be cool or individual, but there wasn't enough room in the car to bring a bike from Florida, whereas my skateboard fit into my large backpack. Off we went, the boys cycling at full speed and me, skating alongside them, the wheels scrapping along the gravel below us.

We stopped at a nearby church, bursting in on a christening, which I felt pretty bad about. Then again, if we didn't do this then that baby probably wouldn't live to see its seventh birthday with all these vampires roaming around. We all began to fill our canteens with holy water, all eyes placed on us. When we finished, Alan raised his fist up to them with a smile and I nodded to them, "Um... Praise Jesus... Or whatever." I stated awkwardly, before Edgar pulled me through the doors.

~

I watched out the window as Sam's grandfather left the house, before grabbing a coffee table and pressing it to the window to barricade it. Everyone got to work, blocking every entrance and exit, preparing weapons and smashing garlic, we also filled a bath tub with our deadly mix as a refill station.

My heart sank with the sun.

It's go time.