chapter 8; the hounds of hell.

I sat at the table with Sam, eating an apple that Lucy had offered me for breakfast, while Sam chowed down on a piece of toast

I sat at the table with Sam, eating an apple that Lucy had offered me for breakfast, while Sam chowed down on a piece of toast. Lucy ate her breakfast outside, preparing to confront Michael as soon as he stepped one foot on the porch.

Everyone's gaze averted to the door as Michael strode inside.

I take that it didn't go so well with Lucy.

His hair was ruffled up and his shirt rumpled, I could make out a small purple mark that poked out the top of his collar.

It's no vampire bite, but it sure was a love bite.

Ew.

Sam's grandpa was the first to speak. A smirk spread across his face, shifting his grey moustache on his upper lip, "I wasn't the only one that got lucky last night, huh?"

"Did you take care of everything, Michael?" Sam questioned, his voice a lot rougher than usual.

Michael said nothing, he simply disappeared upstairs.

The asshat just did a girl and didn't even try to figure out how to be human again.

~

Lucy's car pulled up with a quick stop, causing Sam and I to jolt forwards slightly as we examined the house standing tall in front of us.

"What's with the wine?" Sam asked, in the new deep voice of his.

"It's my apology to Max for running out on him last night." Lucy explained, climbing out of the car, "Which you, young man and you," she began, pointing at us both, "should also be apologising for."

"Mom..." Sam groaned.

"I'm going to take it up to the house." She informed, walking in through the gate.

"Alright, we'll be here." I piped up from the back seat, watching as the woman made her way up to the house with the bottle clasped in her nimble fingers.
Sam opened up a comic book and I soon recognised it, "You're reading that thing again?" I queried, leaning forward so that I was peering over Sam's shoulder, staring down at the page on 'The Hounds Of Hell.'

"Yup." Sam replied simply.

"Dude, what happened with your voice? It's all—" I began, but I was cut off by the sound of barking, causing me to clutch Sam's shoulder in fright.

Sam and I's attention snapped over to Lucy, who was screaming and racing down from Max's house, a large dog snapping its huge jaws at her heels.

"M-Mrs. Emerson?!" I called, as both Sam and I jumped out of the car.

"Sam!" Lucy screamed, dropping the bottle of wine and looking back over her shoulder at the vicious animal coming her way.

Quickly, Lucy jumped at the gate, just as the dog seized the bottom of her dress, ripping the cloth as she rolled over onto the safe side of the fence.

"Mom!" Sam yelled, dropping to her side as she breathed heavily.

She's not hurt. Thank god.

The barking didn't stop and as I looked up at the fence, I came face to face with the dog that was breaking through the wood. I gasped and jumped back, grabbing Lucy's hand and helping Sam pull her up as we all raced to the car.

~

"And the dog just ran after my mom like the hell hounds from the comic book." Sam explained as we entered the back room of the comic book store with Edgar and Alan.

"We've been aware of some serious vampire activity in this town for a while now." Edgar informed as both him and Alan scurried around the room, moving things and opening things.

"Santa Carla has become a haven for the undead." Alan spoke, helping Edgar push a large door back, "Kill your brother, you'll feel better."

"Look, guys, Sam's brother isn't a bloodsucker." I stated, following the brothers and watching their movements intently.

"It says here that if you kill the head vampire, that all half vampires will turn human again." Sam added, handing me the comic book after reading from it.

"Does your brother know who the head vampire is?" Edgar questioned. Sam and I both shook our heads.

"Then you have to kill him, and if you don't, we will." Alan added.

"You guys don't understand! This is a perfectly good guy!" I protested.

Edgar narrowed his eyes at me and stepped towards me, getting uncomfortably close, "Defending a vampire... Who's to say you're not one yourself, doll." He hissed, hovering his hand over a wooden stake being held in his belt.

Oh, that is it.

I grabbed Edgar by the collar of his shirt, pulling him impossibly close, "Test me and I will hand you your ass on a silver platter." I growled. All of the boys' eyes widened and I released Edgar, "I'm not on the vampires' side, but neither is Michael. Nor Sam. May we continue?"

"This all started when my mom went to work Max's video store. He only comes home at night, the dog that chased my mom this morning was his."

"It says here that vampires require a daytime protector, someone to watch over them as they sleep. The hounds of hell are usually employed for this service." I read from the comic book, looking up at the brothers as they exchanged glances.

"What happens if my mom is dating the head vampire?" Sam spoke up, "You guys can nail him and save Santa Carla. Truth, justice and the American way."

Edgar nodded, "Fine, we'll check out Max."