chapter 10; beating like a drum.

I was finally back at my own house, wrapped up in my warm bed with my mother just across the hallway

Everything would seem fine, right?

Wrong.

I couldn't sleep a wink. I was too afraid of what might happen if we don't find the head vampire, or worse, he finds us first.

A small gust of wind swirled around my room, causing me to shiver and pull the blankets further up my body. I can't help but to feel this creepy vibe. Anxiousness, I guess. Here I was having a heart attack every time I hear a noise, while my mum is sleeping peacefully in her room without a care in the world. All I want to do is keep everyone safe and I can't do that by lying in bed.

I almost jumped out of my skin as the phone rang. I seized it, pressing it to my ear quickly, "H-Hello?" I questioned.

"Lily. We need you." A familiar voice spoke.

Sam.

"I'm on my way."

~

Soon enough I was making my way to Sam's house, running as fast as my legs could carry me. Once I reached the porch, the sound of bike bells echoed around me. My gaze immediately landed upon Edgar and Alan, "He called you guys too?"

Edgar nodded as the brothers dismounted from their bikes, throwing them to the ground as though they were litter, "Yup, must be pretty serious."

Alan quickly grabbed my wrist and hauled me away from the door as Sam threw it open, his hair was messy and there were slight bags below his eyes.

The Frog brother pushed passed me as all three of us entered the house.

Alan spoke first, "Where's The Prince Of Darkness?"

"The what?" Sam questioned.

"Y'know, the bloodsucker?" Edgar added.

I placed my hand on Sam's shoulder, "What they mean is, where's Michael?"

"Hey, Mike! They're here!" The blonde hollered up the stairs. I grabbed a bag from Edgar's loaded hands and he nodded at me.

Maybe they're beginning to trust me?

~

"Hey, Grandpa! Is it alright if we borrow your car?" Sam shouted from his seat in the front of the rust bucket they called their transport.

Michael's foot pressed down on the gas pedal, forcing the car on before the elderly could speak a word. I was squeezed in the back beside the vampire hunters as they prepared their weapons and devised a plan.

I wonder if their Grandfather would need this car while we're out? Nah. Wait, did we just steal a car? Let's call it 'borrowing,' shall we?

I gripped the seat at each side of my thighs as Michael sped along the cliff edge, praying that it would be a vampire that would be the death of me and not a one hundred and fifty foot drop, trapped in a car with a bunch of imbeciles. The car jumped and jolted at every stone or rock we came across, but Mike seemed to have good enough control, so I let myself ease back into the seat a little, getting as comfortable as I could, being stuck between two boys with sharp objects poking out of every pocket.

Michael came to an abrupt stop, throwing dust and dirt up over us and causing all five of us to jolt forward. We were damn lucky the car had such strong seat belts or all of us would've been through the windscreen and off the edge of the cliff.

Edgar and Alan didn't even bother to open the doors, they just jumped out of the open-topped vehicle and began to search each other for all of their much-need weapons.

I jumped out too, helping Sam hoist up his older brother, who was weakening by the minute. As soon as I knew my friend had a good grip in the older male, I was by Alan's side in an instant, listening intently, that was until they're attention planted on me. "Why're you listening?" Edgar spat.

"If I'm going to help, I need to know the game plan." I stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"No you're not, you're a girl." Alan spoke up, causing me to glare.

"And you act like one, sweetheart. Now hand me a stake." I added simply.

Reluctantly, Edgar placed the sharp wood into my palm. That's when it finally hit me.

I might actually have to kill somebody.

That thought made me sick to my stomach, but I was drawn to the purpose by determination.

I jumped as Edgar called over to Michael, "Just so you know, if you try to stop us or vamp out in anyway, I will not hesitate to stake you."

"Chill out, Edgar." Sam defended, causing both of the Emersons to grin, including me.

Just like that the Frog brothers disappeared down the hole and I watched as Mike and Sam hobbled along behind them.

I'm really doing this, aren't I?

I joined them, a stake gripped in my sweaty palm with my heart beating like a drum.