Chapter 1

"Morning mom" I kissed my moms cheek.

"Morning sweetie"

It's just my mom and myself at home now. My father died a year ago when the plague first hit. My older sister Katie lives in Texas. I haven't seen her since dad died. My mother and I have been struggling ever since that day. The rest of our family is dead. We lost them all when we first got hit by the plague last year. Slowly we've lost the rest of our family. 

"What's wrong?" My mother asks as I pour myself a cup of coffee. What isn't wrong? I question myself before answering my concerned mother. 

"I'm just nervous about the whole baby thing." I take a sip of my steaming hot cup of coffee. I can't help but worry about who I might get paired up with. I'll have to build a relationship with them and grow a family with them. Am I ready for this?

"You'll be fine, I'm pretty sure you'll get a very nice guy." My mom attempts to cheer me up. "I hope" I whisper before hearing a knock on the door, I walk over and see Josh standing on my porch. I opened the door and smile. "Good morning" I chirped.

"Morning" He wraps his welcoming arms around me, instantly I feel the comfort and security as I rest my head on his chest. Josh is not my boyfriend, he's my best friend and only my best friend, we never once thought about being more. I've known him since I was 4 years old, we've spent almost every second together since. 

"I'm so nervous about today" I admit to him and he chuckles, "You're nervous? I was up all night." Once he said that I let out a small laugh. Josh was never the type to work himself up especially this much. 

"It's not funny Emily" I was still laughing. "You know you love me" I joke.

"Sure I do" he jokes back and begins laughing.

"What's up with all this noise?" My mom comes walking into the living room. "Mom, he was so nerv..." Josh covers my mouth and smiles at my mom.

"He was what?" My mom smirks giving Josh a small hug. 

"Oh nothing" Josh lied as I laugh through his hand. He slowly pulls his hand away, I can see the look he's giving me. He's hoping I won't say anything to my mom.  "He was so nervous that he could sleep." I quickly say before looking at Josh with wide eyes praying that he won't be mad. 

"Really?" My mom let out a laugh "You know we love you" My mom adds.

"Yea I know" Josh says and smiles at us. 

I put on a white top, blue jeans that has rips in them, and black slip on vans. I brush through my already straight hair and curl my eyelashes before grabbing my bag and rushing down to Josh and my mom. We say bye to my mom before making our way to Josh's car. Our car ride is filled with small talk about our so called mission today. We both prayed not to get certain people and that our friendship wouldn't get ruined. When we arrived at school everyone was acting normal no one was nervous or even looked worried. How isn't anyone concerned? Their lives are about to change for good. 

We get out of the car and walk towards the school, I walk slowly behind Josh. He turns around and smirks before wrapping his arm around my shoulder so I walk next to him. Once we enter the school my stomach flips. I'm so nervous, I'm afraid that the guy would just leave me or I would get Mark Trois; he's the player at our school. Any other girl would die to have him, but not me. 

"Promise me that we will stay in touch and still hangout." I say as we walk into the main lobby. "I promise, trust me no one is coming in between us." I smile at Josh's promising words.

"Emily!" I hear a familiar voice behind me, I turn around and smile. It was Courtney, she's like a sister to me. "Morning" I hug her.

"Are you excited?" She asks and I shake my head. "No, you crazy? I'm so nervous." I look at her, "I'm excited, I finally get to get laid!" She squeals, Josh and I burst into laughter.

"I'll see you later" I say to Josh as I pull Courtney towards our homeroom. This girl is always looking for someone to bring to bed with her, but I still love her. Plus without me, she'd always be in trouble. We get to homeroom and the teacher is writing down today's schedule. In less than 10 minutes we'll be heading down to the auditorium. After we are paired up we are leaving with our 'partner' for the day.

"I can't believe this is happening" I sigh and rub my forehead in frustration.

"This is so exciting" Courtney replies, "For you at least" I say and roll my eyes. 

I pulled out my book 'Heart To Heart' , it's a romantic type of book, it's my forth time reading it. I figured this might clam me down and hopefully make thing slower.

"Attention all staff and students, report to the auditorium now" The speaker boomed.

Here goes nothing!