Chapter 2

I enter the auditorium behind Courtney, my eyes search the room for Josh. I give up sit with Courtney. The room fills up quickly as the noise levels rise. My legs are shaking as I watch the clock gets closer to the start time. 

"This is so exciting!" She squeals again, I just roll my eyes. "No it's not, people are dying Courtney, we are being forced to have kids." she looks at me, opening her mouth, but before she could get anything out the principle starts talking.

"When I say your name stand up and look for your partner, once you find each other you're free to leave with him or her. I hope for the best in all of you students. We have extra health classes, birth classes." She keeps yapping on, but I really only paid attention to the part when she said tomorrow we go get tested for STDs.

"Mia Dunk and Chris Dickens" Mia of course got her boyfriend so that was easy for her. "Courtney Paser and Mark Trois" I gasp at the name. "I'm so sorry Courtney" I look at her, but she kept smiling. What?

"It's fine, at least I know he's good in bed" she smirks at me and I couldn't help but laugh. They've probably hooked up numerous of times before. 

She announces a ton of more names before mine came. "Emily Carns and Josh Myers" I stood up. "What?!" I say too loud. "Emily Carns and Josh Myers" she repeats herself. I look over and see Josh standing, I walked over to him. 

"This isn't right" I say as we walk down the bleachers.

"Us being together?" Josh questions me. 

"Yes, we are best friends, we're not suppose to be couples." I stop in my track and look at him. Not sure what his thoughts are about us being together, but can't stop myself from getting my opinions across. "It's going to be weird" I add, not trying to hurt him. I just never thought of us being more than friends. 

"I know, but you know we have to, right?" He rests his hand on my back and sighs at the same time. 

"Yes I know we have to but..." I stop and search for the right words. "I just need to think, I need time." He nods. Josh is a very understanding person, I mean I am very lucky to have him, but I'm just not ready to move past our friendship. That's a whole new door that we have to open up. 

The drive back to my house was pretty quiet, we both are full of thoughts. He kept his hand on my thigh the whole drive like usual. That's been a thing since we were able to drive, it was more of a comfort thing for the both of us. I can only image how my moms gonna take this information. Will she be happy for us? Before I know it were standing at my front door, I look at Josh and give him a small smile. 

"You're home!" My mom shrieks as I walk in with Josh following me.

"Aren't you suppose to be with your partners?" She asks as I look at Josh then back at my mom.

"We are" I look at her, "Pardon?"

"Josh and I got paired up" I watch as her eyes widen. "You're not serious are you?" She sits down at the table full of shock.

"Yes" I say, I look up at Josh. Who has a blank expression on his face, deep in thoughts. 

"That's good, right? I mean you guys know so much about each other and you have so many things in common." My mom asks and motions us to sit. I can't have this discussion right now. 

"I..um.." I'm so lost in my words, "Mom I'll discuss everything later I promise." Is all I said before I pull Josh upstairs into my room. I need a break from this mess and just have my best friend. 

"Woah..wait.." He says and stops in his tracks. I turn around and see full panic on his face as he thinks I am about to jump the gun on our new relationship.