SIX

SIX;
I HATE YOU

+++

"WHERE'S CHARLIE?" Cassie asked.

That simple question made everyone stop what they were doing. Peter froze in his spot, but his long hands never left her hers. Cassie looked directly at his chestnut eyes in search for answers, but he looked everywhere but her.

"Uh, Cassie..." Wanda stepped in, looking at the brunette with hesitation. "Charlie, he, uh—"

"They brainwashed him, Cassie." Peter frowned, looking down at the small girl. "He's one of them."

"N—No." She whispered, her hand flew to her mouth as she looked at his eyes.

She turned around to face the Maximoff twins, searching for some sort of lie. Her lower lip quivered when she realized they were telling her the truth. Charlie forgot her, for him, she didn't exist.

"I—I'm sorry, Cassie." Peter whispered, trying to hug her, but the girl pushed him away. "The hell?"

"Don't touch me." Peter's face changed drastically at her words, he stretched his hand to take her hand, but she yanked it away. "No."

"Cassandra," Natasha stepped in. "There's nothing we can do."

"He couldn't—He couldn't, you're lying. All of you." Her shaky finger pointed at them, but her eyes stopped in Peter. "Why didn't you help him?" She asked, frowning at his direction.

"I—I wanted to, but he tried to kill—"

"Stop lying!" Cassie exclaimed, making everyone flinch. "You could've forced him! But you didn't!" Pietro tensed up at her outburst.

"Cassie, just listen to me—" Peter pleaded, stepping forward, but every time he tried to reach out, she backed away.

"I hate you." She said, breaking his heart.

"Cassie!" Wanda exclaimed. "Don't say that!" She walked to the brunette, but she simply backed away with tears in her eyes.

Peter wanted to say something, do something to comfort the broken girl in front of him. But he was too heartbroken by her words, he was frozen in the spot and he wasn't able to do anything. Hell, the months without Cassie didn't hurt him as much as those three words she said to him.

Before he could even try to reach out for her hand, Cassie disappeared in the thin air.

+++

Maybe Charlie didn't die, but that's how it felt for Cassie. A hole grew inside her chest where her heart was supposed to be, she couldn't think straight as she raced out of the room, the thought of never seeing Charlie again was torturing her mind.

"Cassie?" She stopped dead in her tracks at the sound of Wanda's voice echoing the hall. The girl didn't try to be visible again, she absolutely hated the idea of them seeing her in that state. "I know you are here."

"We are here to talk." Pietro spoke, causing her to look up at them.

Cassie sighed deeply and focused on being visible again, she rested her head on the cold glass as the sadness embraced her. At the sight of the small girl, the twins kneeled down next to her in silence.

"Tell me this is a dream." She whispered, looking down at her trembling hands.

"I really want to, Cassie." Wanda held her hand, giving it a supportive squeeze.

"I can't lose Charlie. He's the last family I have left." Her eyes meet with the shiny floor as the tears fell to her cheeks. "I need him."

"We know." Pietro breathed out, holding her free hand. "But you're not alone. You have us, the Avengers... and Peter." Cassie looked at him. "We know you don't hate him. You're just frustrated with what's happening."

Cassie didn't say anything.

"I don't want to be here."

"You are coming with us, then." Wanda smiled sadly, brushing the girl's dark brown hair out of her face. "Come on." She stood up.

"My—My body hurts." Cassie looked up to meet their eyes. Pietro nodded and lifted her in his arms without hesitation. "Thank you." She whispered, resting her head on his shoulder.

Pietro and Wanda looked at each other with worry before walking to the elevator to meet Clint and Sam. Both adults looked at the broken girl in the silver-haired boy's arms and decided to stay silent. Cassie eyed them with a frown and then looked up at her friend.

"You probably have a lot of questions." Sam said, catching the girl's attention.

"I don't." She whispered, quietly tracing small circles on Pietro's chest, which vibrated from chuckling at her response.

Cassie closed her eyes in hope of a better day, sleep embraced her quickly after not being able to have a nice sleep for months. Her brain projected several memories of Charlie, all the moments they shared and how protective they were of each other. All was gone, just like him.

She didn't know how long she dreamt about him, but when she opened her eyes, the blue of the sea was the first thing she saw. It wasn't literally the sea, but only Wanda's eyes looking at her with worry.

"W—Where am I?"

"Home." Wanda smiled, caressing her hair.

"Home?"

"Pietro and I share an apartment here in New York." She explained, half-smiling at her. "It will be your home now."

"Oh."

"How are you feeling?" Wanda wrapped an arm around her shoulders, her pale hand rested above Cassie's. "I know it's a silly question but—"

"I'm fine." The brunette interrupted her, looking straight at her turquoise eyes. "You don't need to worry about me, Wanda."

"I just want to tell you that we are here for you." The young woman said softly. "You are not alone, little Cassie."

"Do you miss him?" She spoke, catching Wanda out of guard.

"Of course I do." She sent the girl a reassuring smile. "He will always be in my mind, and my—" She was interrupted by Pietro walking into the room with a frown on his pale features. "What's wrong, Pietro?" She asked with preoccupation.

"The others want Cassie to fight with us in Germany."