FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN;
PROMISES

+++

THIS IS CRAZY, Peter thought.

Cassie exhaled deeply as she walked into the Stark tower with her backpack in her left shoulder and with Peter's arm around her shoulders. She still heard his thoughts, and it was driving her crazy.

"What are you doing here so early?" Tony asked as soon as he spotted the teenagers.

For God's sake, first day and these two are already acting like little rebels

"We are not acting like little rebels." Cassie muttered, massaging her temples. Tony's widened when the realisation of her words hit him.

"You can read minds!" He exclaimed, making both of them flinch. "I have to call Bruce."

"It's getting worse, Mr. Stark. I don't think she can handle it anymore." Peter stepped in, looking down at the small girl.

"Okay, take her to my office. I have to do something first." The man quickly explained. "I'll be right back, and don't play with anything." He warned and walked away.

Peter clasped his hands together and turned to face the brunette with pursed lips, when she looked up to meet his gaze, he tilted his head to the side to let her know where Tony's office was. Cassie nodded hesitantly and followed him around the massive building.

"You never told me you were Spider-Man." The brunette broke the silence as they stepped into the office full of expensive technology. "Now I see why you got so worked up whenever someone insulted him in school." Peter chuckled, so did she.

"Aunt May doesn't know, so please don't tell her or anyone." He pursed his lips together as he sat on a metallic chair.

"I would never." She reassured as her brown eyes scanned the room. "It'll be out little secret." Peter blushed and forced himself to look away from her intense glare. "Where do you think he is? Tony, I mean."

"Honestly? I don't know." They both chuckled. "He's the most unpredictable person I know."

"I have to admit, you are quite unpredictable." Cassie pointed out, looking down at her fingers playing with the strings of her hoodie. "I mean, you are a very different person from the one I knew months ago."

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" Peter crocked an eyebrow, half-smiling at her words. It made his heart pound inside his chest.

"Of course." The brunette smiled faintly, Her eyes still scanned the whole room with amusement, something that Peter found adorable. Little dimples appeared on her cheeks, making him smile. "My head hurts." She groaned, closing her eyes and massaging her aching head. Peter exhaled.

"He said he was going out. I bet he'll be here in any minute." The boy said, trying to make her feel better. "How are you feeling?"

"I don't know." She answered truthfully and looking directly at his eyes. 

"Uh–I never had the opportunity to ask you–uh, about how you ended up, you know, there." Peter asked, playing with his fingers.

"I can tell you." Cassie nodded, sitting straight on her chair. "But you can't tell anyone. Not even Tony." The boy thought about it for a moment and nodded after a long pause.

"I won't tell Mr. Stark." He promised, sending her a reassuring smile. Cassie's lips curved up into a weak smile.

"Almost everyday, after school, I went to play poker with some... friends." She explained, looking away from his intense and questioning glare. "Well, they weren't necessarily friends but–my point is that one night Charlie followed me, and I guess those people did too, so they kidnapped us." The girl finished her explanation with a deep sigh. "Sometimes I think one of those people I played with had something to do with HYDRA. I don't find any other explanation–" Peter held her hand, giving her goosebumps. She looked up and half-smiled.

"Promis me you won't play again with them." He whispered, leaning closer to hear her response. Cassie looked directly at his eyes and thought about it for a moment. "Cassie."

"Fine. I promise."

"Oh, you two are bonding. That's great." Tony's voice echoed into the room, making the two lean back and look away. The man raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest. "What were you two doing?"

"Talking." Peter shrugged as he played with the sleeve of his jacket. "Where were you, by the way?"

"I did some arrangements to help Cassie here." Because the tone he used, the teenagers suspected it was something good.

"Care to explain?" Cassie crossed her arms over her chest and raised her eyebrows.

"Tweedledum and Tweedledee! Come here!" He exclaimed, turning around to face the mechanic door in front of them. The teenagers looked at each other with a frown.

Cassie bolted out of her chair as soon as her eyes met with a pair of turquoise ones, she smiled brightly as she jogged and hugged the twins with happiness. Pietro and Wanda smiled as they shared a hug with the small girl.

"You're here!" The girl smiled, completely ignoring the aching pain in her head. "But how?"

"Tony said you needed Wanda's help." Pietro explained, half-smiling.

"And you know these two are like Siamese cats. Where one goes, the other follows." The twins laughed at Tony's words, but Cassie simply looked away to hide the pain from her head.

"I'm going to help you control your ability to read minds." Wanda explained, searching for her eyes.

"Can we start tomorrow? I'm a little bit tired and–" Cassie spoke out, looking at Tony for support, but he was looking down at his phone.

"We need to do the homework, remember? I promised I would help." Peter chimed in, pursing his lips together. Cassie smiled with relief.

"Right. Yes, math homework." She continued, clinging her backpack on her shoulder. The twins shared a look and watched as she walked out of the office with Peter by her side.

"I told you she liked him too." Pietro smirked.