TWENTY SIX

TWENTY-SIX;
SECRETS

AGAIN, CASSIE COULDN'T SLEEP. She carefully watched the cards floating before her as the light of the moon entered into the massive room and illuminated half of the place. Her brown eyes flickered back to the door in front of her and stood up from the bed, she scanned the room once more and walked out of her room.

She quietly walked outside the room and towards Tony's office, she felt the doubt and questions guiding her through the office in search of his computer. Cassie exhaled when she sat in front of the screen, scanning the keyboard and debating about leaving or searching the answers for her questions.

Her fingers swiftly tapped each letter and pressed search before exhaling sharply to wait for the results to appear. She felt her breath hitching when she saw her parents' faces in front of her, they were part of S.H.I.E.L.D., and they died protecting them from the evil of the world. Her parents didn't die in a car accident like the orphanage made them think, it was a lie.

"What the hell–" She whispered as she scrolled down, quickly reading each paragraph. "What the hell is S.H.I.E.L.D.?"

She exhaled deeply and walked out of the office. Maybe her mission was to get answers, but she had more questions and no one to answer them. Shaking, she took her phone and searched for Peter's contact.

me
hey. are u awake?

pete
yep. just got home from patrol.
what's up?

me
can u search what's S.H.I.E.L.D
please?

pete
of course

+++

"So my parents were like... secret agents or something like that?" Cassie asked at her friend, the boy nodded as he watched the screen.

"Something like that, yes." Peter mumbled as his eyes scanned the bright screen of his laptop. "That's amazing." The brunette raised her eyebrows.

"I don't understand..." She trailed off, scooting closer to look at the screen. Peter blushed. "You know what? Forget it. Too many secrets."  The boy chuckled.

"You can ask Mr. Stark, you know?" He proposed, closing his laptop. Cassie sent him a death glare and he raised his hands in a defensive manner. "Okay, we'll drop it." A smile crept onto his features, and so did Cassie.

The bell rang, signalling them it was time to go back to class and stop chatting about not important topics. Peter stood up from the bench and Cassie followed him with a small smile on her features, they walked side to side through the crowded halls.

"Baby! I was looking for you!" Michelle's voice made them stop dead in their tracks. The brunette couldn't help to roll her eyes as she watched the girl making her way to them. "Where were you?" She asked, her eyes traveling from Cassie to Peter.

"We were outside, making out." Cassie joked, hugging the boy from his waist. Peter's eyes widened at her words. Michelle sent her a death glare. "Don't get your panties in a twist. I'm kidding." She laughed, Peter did too. "Hi, Michelle."

"Hi." The girl coldly replied, crossing her arms over her chest. "Peter, baby, why were you ignoring my texts last night? I went to your apartment and you weren't there."

"I was–uh," He stammered, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Are you keeping secrets from me?" She asked, her voice quivered.

"I think that's my cue to go." Cassie awkwardly interfered, she looked back at the tall boy and turned around to give them privacy.

Peter watched as she walked away and exhaled deeply, his hand took Michelle's and dragged her away from the crowded halls. His chestnut eyes traveled over the different faces until he found a perfect place to talk privately with his 'girlfriend'.

"I am not keeping secrets from you, Elle." He clarified, shoving his hands inside his pockets. "I stayed late working with Mr. Stark. That's all." Thanks to all the time he spent with Cassie, he was slowly becoming a good liar. "Maybe I left my phone inside my backpack."

"And if you were with Mr. Stark then you were also with Cassie, right?" Michelle asked, crossing her arms over her chest. "Everything changed since she came."

"Sorry?" Peter asked, frowning. "What does that mean?"

"I want you to stay away from her."