TWENTY TWO

TWENTY-TWO;
SORRY

PETER WAS BEYOND FURIOUS, it made him furious the fact that he made Cassie cry. It was the second time it happened, and he hated himself because of it. His heart was broken by the words he said to her, but he couldn't stop himself, the anger made him say things he once thought, but not anymore.

"Hey, the book didn't do anything to you." His aunt said as she watched him angrily turn the pages of his Chemistry book. Peter exhaled. "You've been acting strange, honey. Is something wrong?"

"No–Uh, well..." Peter never thought he would have that chat with his aunt, but he was full of questions. "Have you ever said something you regret so much?"

"Tons of things, yes. But why do you ask?" She frowned with confusion as she sat on the chair next to him. The boy exhaled. "What did you say, Peter?"

"I don't want to repeat it." He exhaled, looking down at his hands, Aunt May nodded. "But I think I'm making a mistake."

"About Michelle?" She asked, catching Peter out of guard and forcing him to look directly at her eyes. "Honey, I may be old but not dumb." The boy blushed. "Do you regret asking her out?"

"No, I–well, it's complicated." Peter stammered, pursing his lips together afterwards. "I feel like, uh, I feel like I'm betraying–"

"Like you are betraying Cassie?" His aunt completed, he nodded hesitantly.

"Wait, how'd you know?"

"Told you, honey." May smirked, shrugging. "Listen, I know Cassie has a special place in your heart. I noticed the moment she disappeared and you locked yourself inside your room for a week. Pete, it's not hard to see when you like someone, and for a moment, I hated her for breaking your heart. But then, I saw the way you talked about her, how your eyes would lit up." She exhaled deeply. "What made you ask Michelle out?"

"Well, I don't really know." Peter shrugged, looking down at the web shooter under his sleeve. "I guess I gave up on Cassie, and I'm finally moving on."

"Then why are you making such a big deal of it?" The woman asked, sitting straight on the chair.

"Because she caught me lying to her and she's mad, and I guess the anger took over me and made me tell her mean things." He mumbled.

"Lying to her? About what?" May questioned, resting her chin in the palm of her hands. "What did you do, Peter Parker?"

"She showed me this special place for her, and she saw me there... with Michelle." Aunt May exhaled deeply. "I know, I know, sounds silly but that place means a lot to her, honestly, a lot. And well, that same day she asked me to walk around the city with her friends and I told her I had things to do."

"When in reality you went out with Michelle." The woman completed. "To her secret place."

"Yeah." Peter nodded, pursuing his lips together.

"I think you should go and apologise to her. About whatever you told her." The boy frowned. "If she showed you her secret place, then she's a keeper, honey."

+++

Tony knew something had happened when Cassie barged into the tower and slammed the door of her room with such strength he wondered why the tower didn't fall down. And his questions were answered when he saw Peter desperately searching for Cassie in the living room

"Hey, Spider-Boy." The man spoke out, making Peter turn his head to look at him. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be saving the city with that cute spandex?"

"Where's Cassie?" He asked, completely ignoring Tony's words. The man exhaled and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Because I need to talk to her." Peter slowly explained, pinching the bridge of his nose with frustration. "Is she in her room?"

As Tony glared him, he felt his protective-father side turn on. He didn't know why he suddenly felt a strange feeling of anger in the pit of his stomach, it angered him the fact that Cassie was sad, and Peter was the reason. But instead of speaking his feelings, like always, he nodded and signalled him to go.

Peter exhaled as the knocked the door, it made him nervous to see Cassie after telling her hurtful words. He definitely felt strange. His heart fell to the floor when she opened, and she looked almost like the first time he saw her in the tower, after they rescued her from HYDRA. Like when she told him she hated him.

"What are you doing here?" She snapped, looking directly at his chestnut eyes.

Peter didn't know what to do or say, so he simply stepped closer and wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace. He felt her froze in his arms, and it broke his heart that she wasn't returning the gesture.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, resting his chin on the crown of her head, Cassie exhaled sharply in his embrace. "A–And I know you probably hate me, it's okay if you do. I totally get it, but I want you to know that I love that you care about me. I really do."

Cassie didn't say anything, and it broke his heart. He knew that was her way or pushing people away, he had seen it before. Peter exhaled deeply as he stepped away, but his hands never left her shoulders and his eyes never left hers.

"Talk to me." He pleaded, looking down at her. "Don't push me away because of my big mouth. Please, I need you as much as you need me. You are the only one who gets me, you are the only one who knows how it feels to be alone, and I want to be there for you, and you can be there for me, too. Cassie," Her brown eyes traveled over his desperate expression, hell, even his voice quivered. "Don't push me away, please. I know I deserve it, but I don't want you out of my life. What I said didn't mean anything and you know that."

Cassie chewed her lower lip with hesitation. She tried her best to not show any emotion after his words, and she felt her guard slowly getting down as he pleaded her with only one look. Exhaling deeply, she looked down and nodded. Peter smiled widely and embraced her one more time.

"You're the best friend I could ever ask for, Cassie. I promise I won't let you down again." The brunette looked away to hide the pain his words caused on her. "And let's promise each other to always be honest and not to share our secret place with anyone." He spoke, making her look at him with a serious expression. "Promise?"

"Promise." She whispered. "Now go."