Chapter 4

Green leaned back in his seat. "I STILL don't know how you battle," he said, cautiously.

"Why would you need to know that?" I asked. I didn't know what Green meant by that. Did he want to see how good I was? Was it a test? I shook that thought out of my head. I've been tested enough in my life.

"Do you think," he started, talking slowly. "We can battle outside, to see your battle style?"

I nodded. "Okay." The two of us went outside. It was sunset, and the little town was quiet, the only sounds were the windmills in the distance. There was a huge patch of grass in the middle of town, and I went to one end while Green went to another.

I fingered a pokeball. "Are you ready?" I asked. Green smirked.

"I think I should be asking YOU that question," he said. I stared at him. His green eyes were as cocky as ever, and the cape he had on billowed in the wind, giving him the image of power- exactly what I needed to look like.

"Ready?" I asked, even though I didn't feel ready myself. "Here I go!" We threw our pokeballs simultaneously. They hit the ground, and the pokemon erupted from the balls, roaring. Green had led with his Pidgeot, while I chose to lead with Rhyperior.

My brain went into autopilot, immediately scanning the opposing Pidgeot and assessing its abilities and moves. I could sense its aura, and I was surprised. This Pidgeot was ready to lay down its life for its Trainer.

"You trained your pokemon well," I called to Green. Green looked up.

"What makes you think that?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I answered immediately. "Your Pidgeot has strong feelings about you," I yelled. "In addition, it has a Sassy nature and has 5 IVs. It's also capable of taking hits." I paused. Green was staring at me with that look again... like I grew another head. I decided to make the first move.

"Rock Silde, Rhyperior!" I yelled. Rhyperior grunted, and stones came tumbling down from nowhere, pummeling the Pidgeot. Dust flew everywhere, and I couldn't see anything. I tried to communicate with Rhyperior, to tell it to use Dig, but I couldn't. I could sense that Rhyperior was there, but I couldn't reach it mentally. I gave up and crossed my fingers.

When the dust cleared, I gasped. Rhyperior was on the floor, and Pidgeot was making lazy loops in the air. Green was standing across from me, hands on his hips.

"How much time do you spend with your pokemon?" He asked in a scolding tone.

"Well, virtually none," I shot back. Green opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off.

"That's only because my parents locked them up, okay? I wouldn't have treated them that way. I'm not heartless." I spat out every word, hatred burning in my chest. I hated my parents. Hated them for taking me away, hated them for keeping me from the world. Why me? It was so bloody unfair.

Green bowed his head. "Sorry for being so rough," he said. I glared at him in answer. I returned Rhyperior to its pokeball while Green did the same with his Pidgeot. Without another word, we trooped back inside.

—————

I sat on the couch, hands clasped around my legs. Green was sitting next to me, looking at me in concern.

"What?" I asked roughly. Green sighed.

"You have real talent, Regina," he said.

"So I've been told," I snapped, fiddling with my thumbs. I couldn't get my mind off of what Green scolded me about. It was a unfair comment. He KNEW my story, why would he ask me about something like that?