Chapter 17

I bit back a curse. There was no way I could defeat all of them one at a time, not in such a tight space. And if I used a move like Surf, the water would bounce back and drown me. I mean, yeah, I could swim. But battling in soaking wet clothes was not an ideal situation.

So fighting was not an option. Talking to the unown might make it worse, and who knew if they understood our language anyways? In my eyes, there was only one option.

I glanced nervously at the group of pokemon. They seemed to be slowly advancing on us. Soon, we'd be trapped against the wall, helpless. I brought out a luxury ball, covered in grey smoke and rainbow star seals. I pressed the button. Smoke spilled out of the ball, and stars lit up the area. When the smoke cleared, my Houndoom stood its ground, snarling. The Unown paused, reluctant to move forward.

"Um, Regina?" Gold's voice was barely a whisper. "Are we fighting or what?" I shook my head vigorously.

"If we fight, it'll bring down the whole area," I explained. "We'd die or be trapped under the rubble." I looked sideways at him. "We need to run."

"R-run?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, you big dunsparce! Do you have any fast pokemon?"

Gold glanced at his pokeballs. "Yeah, I have Exbo."

"Excuse me?"

"My typhlosion."

"I see. Bring him out then." Gold released his Typhlosion, and it landed on all fours, spewing fire.

"A feisty one you have there." I raised my eyebrows in admiration. Typhlosion's coat was sleek and shiny, and muscles ripped throughout its body. A sure sign that it was well loved.

Gold smiled, clearly flattered. "It's actually rather gentle," he said. "Ready?"

I locked eyes with my Houndoom. I sent my thoughts towards it, letting it know it would carry me out of the ruins. Houndoom give me a slight nod.

"On three," I said. "One." "Two."

I paused. The Unown had started to stir, pinging angrily. I could've sworn their eyes narrowed and glared at me.

"Three comes next," Gold said nervously. "Are we running or not?"

"RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!" I screamed, swinging onto my pokemon. Gold leaped onto his pokemon and landed right on his crotch. My voice went shrill with laughter as we ran out of the ruins; with Gold cursing, and the Unown in hot pursuit.

—————————————————

"Thank the good lord Arceus for Pokemon Centers." Gold groaned, burying his head in a pillow. I rolled in my bed to face him, still giggling from his awkward land. Gold frowned.

"Hey, that wasn't funny. It hurts!"

My smile disappeared. "Fine. We need to get to the next city." I was anxious to move on. The more time i wasted, the more pissed my mom would be. And if my mom could appear as supernatural skeleton ghouls, I didn't want to know how much damage she could do to me if I didn't succeed.

Gold rolled off his bed. He stood, stretching, and extended his hand towards me. I reluctantly took it, and Gold hauled me up and out of my bed. A nurse walked towards us.

"Your pokemon are healed!" She said cheerfully. "We hope you visit again!" I wrinkled my nose. What a horrible thing to say. It was like they wanted your pokemon to get hurt.

We stepped out of the Pokemon Center. Violet City was a hub of activity, with people rushing around, amongst hordes of pokemon. I smiled. It was my kind of chaos- fun, with a little bit of order. Turning to Gold, I smiled.

"Which way?" Gold pointed to the South.

"That way leads to Azalea," he said. "I hope the Unown don't chase us."