Chapter 5

The bright sunlight streamed through the windows, blinding me. I opened one eye, cautiously. I was in Gold's bedroom, in New Bark Town. I could feel the rough carving on the wood behind my head, and I traced it again with my fingers.

Tabula Rasa.

I traced the words over again, feeling each groove fit under my finger. "I'm free to be me," I whispered, burying my face in the pillow. I could hear the pidgeys chirping outside, and the clean, crisp air wafted through the open window, filling the room with a sweet smell. I could feel tears gathering, and this time, I didn't hold them back.

I lay on my bed, crying into my pillow. All the emotions I suppressed came rushing out now, like a huge tidal wave. I was so wrapped up in the moment, I didn't notice my door creak open.

"Regina?" It was Green. I lifted my head from my pillow, my eyes puffy and swollen. Turning towards the door, I gasped. Standing in the doorway was a pretty anime-like girl, also in a bikini. Her perfectly sculpted body was toned to perfection, and muscle striations bulged from her immaculate legs. Her face was set in a flirty smirk, with her arms out, like she wanted to hug you. I took a step backwards and tripped, landing hard on the bed.

"Green," I choked. "Either you're looking very pretty today, or I've been misgendering you this whole time."

The girl shook, and Green's familiar spiky hair peeked out. Soon after, I saw his smirking face look out from behind the girl.

"Reg, you're more innocent than I thought you were," he said, laughing. "This is a body pillow. Gold doesn't have a girlfriend yet, so this is his replacement." Chuckling, he flung the girl/pillow at me. I caught it in surprise. It was nice and soft, and I gave it a squeeze.

"Oh," I said, hiding my blushing face behind the pillow. Suddenly, I felt Green's hand on my shoulder. Turning my face, I saw him sitting next to me, all traces of his smile gone.

"Reg, you okay?" he asked, sliding closer to me. He was too close. I could feel his heart, pounding in sync with mine. A bead of sweat rolled down my cheek. Standing up, I moved towards the door.

"I'm fine," I lied, opening the door. "Let's have breakfast." I raced down the stairs, trying to clear my head of what had happened.

—————

"Regina, you can do it!" Green yelled, balling his fists. I began to sweat. A harmless looking rattata had confronted me, teeth baring. I had enough sense to pull my Rhyperior out again, I couldn't speak or move. My vision began to turn grey, and once again, I saw the distorted version of my mother.

"You're too attached to him," she spat, her mouth wide open. Instead out a throat, teeth, and mouth, a gaping black void grinned at me evilly. I shook my head. "N-n-no, not t-t-true," I squeaked, scrambling backwards. My mother cackled maliciously.

"You like him," she rasped. "You're losing sight of your goal." She was gliding towards me now. I frantically tried to deny it.

"B-b-but it's not what you think," I gasped, trying to breathe deeply. My chest felt like a 100 pound weight was sitting on top of it, making it impossible to breathe.

"H-e-e's nice, but I w-w-will fufill your goal," I screamed. My mother floated right up to me. I could see her empty eye sockets, staring right at me. Her mouth was wide open and sneering. I screamed again, scuttling backwards, but I hit a wall. There was nowhere to go. This was it.

"I'll give you another chance," my mother hissed, her bony fingers clenched in a fist. She wrapped her arms around me, pulling me in close to her. I was petrified with fear. I couldn't stand another second with her.

"He's not good enough," she rasped in my ear. Her bony fingers ran up and down my back, and through my hair. I was shaking very, very hard. "Go date a champion."

She dissipated into thin air, leaving a white wisp of smoke. Suddenly, the scenery turned back into blue sky and green grass. Heat suddenly rushed through my body, thawing my frozen bones. I gasped and sat up, my mouth colliding with someone else's. I could feel the warmth of their lips, mashed up against mine. Heat ran to my cheeks, and I gasped again and pushed the person away, falling over and holding my mouth. I scrambled up and took a good look at who I had just "kissed."

It was Green, and he was just as embarrassed as I was.

"Regina, I am so sorry," he said, holding his mouth. "Don't kill me," he pleaded, giving me a puppy eye look.

I sighed. "It's okay, Green," I said dejectedly. "But I should tell you what the hell just happened."

I sat down next to him and began to talk.