Chapter 2

"Yo check it dawg. Look at that fool in the Families about to rob that scrawny white dude." A dark skinned man named Tank said. He was bald with a scruffy beard and wore a large purple shirt that went down to his knees, dark blue jeans, purple sneakers, and a black bandana on his head. He turned to the two other guys behind a smiled a smile that made you know whatever was going in his head was no good.

"Would you look at this. White boy got lucky. A cop showed up." Rory Pierce said, Tank's right hand man and good friend. He also had on mostly purple, but he wore a tank top that showed off the large muscles he had.

The third man was named Leonard "Leo" Roberts. He had cornrows and wore a purple basketball jersey as he stared at the ground listening to the other two talk.

"Hey Leo, what you thinkin' about?" Tank said turning his head around to look at him. Leo raised his head and forced out a small laugh.

"I'm thinking about how dumb you two sound." Leo said. He watched as the 'white boy' across the street got into the police officer's car and the two drove away. Leo then saw four members of the Families walking towards them. His eyes grew big and his face became serious as he stood up from the bench he was sitting. Tank and Rory stood up too as the four came closer.

"Yo Leo. Don't worry man I got you. If anything goes wrong my boy Rory here is packin'." Tank said. Leo shook his head and closed his eyes as the four men were standing in front of the three Ballas members now.

"What's good?" the man who tried to mug the man asked. Leo nodded his head and kept quiet as Tank did the opposite.

"I just saw your punk ass fail a mugging." Tank said. Leo stared at him as the mugger became angry.

"The hell did you just say to me nigga?" the mugger asked.

"I said I just watched your stupid black ass fail to rob that cracker." Tank said getting in his face. He was shoved down onto a bench by one of the mugger's friends. He then immediately stood back up as the mugger stuck his hand out.

"I wouldn't try that." the mugger said. He lifted up his shirt to show a glock hidden there, stuck between his body and his pants. Tank stared at the glock until the mugger dropped his shirt and smiled.

"Leo. Rory." Tank said.

"Yeah?" the two responded in unison. Tank looked back at them then the mugger and swallowed loudly. He quickly punched the mugger in the face and grabbed the glock. He then ran in the other direction as Leo took that as a sign to run as well.

"You Ballas are dead!" the mugger yelled. Leo was running behind Rory and Tank and looked back to see their gang rivals chasing them down. They eventually ran all the way down to the cul de sac in Grove Street where the other gang wouldn't dare try to enter.

"What the hell was that?!" Leo yelled at Tank. Tank ignored him and walked up to his house which was on the corner of the cul de sac. He opened the door and turned around to face Leo.

"Yo man I forgot to tell you. Me, you, Rory, and Jesse are gonna be heading out to Blaine County for business in a couple of days." Tank said. Rory walked into his house as Leo started walking backwards. He stuck up his middle finger to Tank who smiled.

"Fuck you man. Making me run all the way down here just to tell me that." Leo said.

"Fuck you too bitch." Tank yelled out as he slammed the door. Leo shook his head and sighed as he continued walking back to where he ran from. He never really thought of Tank as a friend due to all the trouble he would get into. Now he had no choice since he was second in command of the Ballas and chose Leo to work with him.

Leo eventually reached his car and got in. He picked up a sticky note inside that was a grocery list for his grandmother. He started the car and began to drive to the nearest store.

* * *

When Leo arrived at the store he got out of his car and walked inside. He looked around and started putting anything he needed into a basket. As he walking along aisle he heard a gun click and a man start screaming.

"Put the money in the bag old man!" a guy in a monkey mask yelled at the cashier.

"Aw man you gotta be kidding me." Leo said to himself as the cashier began to empty the register. Once the register was closed the man began to walk around the store, making the people inside put their valuables inside. Leo could hear police sirens closing in on the store and smiled as the man came up to him next.

"Fill the bag with whatever's gonna get me money." the man said.

"I ain't got nothin'." Leo said. The man put the gun against Leo's forehead and talked slowly.

"Fill. The. Bag." the man said again. When Leo didn't respond, the man ripped a gold watch off of Leo's wrist and threw it in the bag. He then sprinted for the door as Leo ran after him.

"That's my grandpa's watch asshole." Leo said. He grabbed the robber and tackled him outside where a female and a male cop stood aiming their guns at the two.

"Freeze!" the woman said. Leo recognized she had a spanish accent as the male cop aimed his gun at the robber.

"Put your weapon down sir!" he yelled at the robber who was aiming his gun at Leo. Leo on the other hand had his hands up and was backing away from anyone holding a firearm. When the robber began to put the gun down, the male cop shot him in the chest, causing him to fall over. Leo's eyes were wider than ever as he watched the man gasp for air as blood poured out of his chest.

"Call an ambulance." the male cop ordered the female. She hesitated a minute before grabbing her radio and asking for medical help. Leo was handed back his watch by the male cop and quickly walked away from the scene and didn't look back. He got in his car and shook his head.

"What the fuck?!" he yelled in his car as he pulled away and began to drive home.