Expressions of Love

The biggest problem with breaking into Stark Tower would be getting past Friday.

Steve decided not to involve Tony because he would be almost as unbearable as Natasha if he knew about your relationship.

But a plan was in place.

At precisely two o'clock that Friday while almost all the Avengers were out, a delivery boy for FTD left a single rose and ornate vase in the hands of one of Tony's cleaning ladies.

   To Natasha Romanoff : the only inscription on the little card.

   The woman left the vase in her room and didn't think anymore about it.

   Not, at least, until Natasha returned.

   Compared to the clean lines and minimal decor of her room, the rose was like a neon sign.

   She examined the room carefully noting that the book she had placed on the edge of her dresser was now stacked with the others on her bedside table.

   Having checked that the rose wasn't poisoned and didn't hide any explosives, she presses the damp flower to her nose and inhales.

   A sound from the hall startles her and she snaps the stem in half, positioning it like a knife in her hand.

   "Clint, don't sneak up on me like that" Natasha closes her eyes and tries to normalize her breathing.

   She conceals the rose by her leg, but Clint has already seen it

   "Secret admirer?" His eyes take in the vase on the dresser and the card beside it.

   Natasha pulls out the broken bulb and turns it between her fingers "I guess. I can't imagine who."

   "There were a couple guys at S.H.I.E.L.D " Clint reminds her with a grin.

   The female spy snorts "And neither of those lasted very long."

  Clint takes the rose from her fingers and examines it "It's a shame. It was a pretty thoughtful gift."

   Natasha shrugs "It's not like I knew who it was from."

   The Archer frowns and positions the rose back in the vase.

  "Is there something you wanted?" Natasha takes both from him and puts them out of reach.

   Clint grins, sideways at her "I was gonna ask if you wanted to work on your technique."

   "Don't get too cocky, Francis" Natasha smirks"Let your technique speak for itself "

- - - -

   Steve's laughs out loud when he sees the determination in your face "Don't take all the fun out of it."

   "You beat me with the Jitterbug " You remind him "But you can't do Beyoncé"

"I can't believe this is considered dancing" Steve moves like a drunk monkey, overcompensating for every step, and that makes it funnier.

You aren't successful at hiding your laughter and Steve flushes.

"I'm not doing this." He decides "This isn't dancing."

You end the game and follow him off the platform "Then what is dancing to you, Mr. Hotshot? Dancing is supposed to be all about having fun and showing off your moves."

Steve shakes his head and beckons for you to follow.

You leave the noise of the arcade and join him on the patio of the adjoining lounge.

At least you can hear each other speak, despite the bluesy song blaring through the outside speakers.

Finally Steve faces you "Dancing Ms. Y/L/N, is a form of socializing. The old fashioned equivalent of um...what's that app that Tony tried to put me on?" He snaps his fingers "Had some thing to do with fire?"

"Tinder?" You laugh, but Steve's face is serious.

"When a guy asked a girl to dance, with her consent, he was allowed to hold her hand." Steve threads his fingers in yours  and places his other hand on your waist "He would have her attention and unless someone asked to cut in, they wouldn't be interrupted."

You feel a flush come to your face as Steve gently begins to sway you in his arms.

"This is weird, Steve" you mumble.

Steve gives you a little smile "We could talk to make it less awkward."

"Why are you doing this?" You can't seem to look into those bright blue eyes.

"A little old fashioned romance, never hurt anyone." Steve grins "I don't know what people these days do when they're in love, but I wanted to show you in the only way I know how."

There is an older couple on the other side of the door who pause to watch you two. A wistful expression is in the man's eyes and both you and Steve watch as he turns to the lady and offers his hand. She laughs, but accepts.

"You two young-ins won't mind if we join ya?" The man asks.

Steve pulls you closer and the gentleness in his eyes makes you feel warm "We wouldn't mind at all."