Ghosts of My Past

The brief respite from Steve's duties as an Avenger comes to a close. Tony calls in the middle of breakfast at your favorite coffee shop.

Steve checks the alert and squeezes your hand gently "I have to go, Y/N. There's been another attack."

"Be careful!" You plead, reaching up to kiss him.

"I love you, Y/N." Steve returns the favor with a grin.

"Love you too, Steve." You push him forward "Go! Tony's gonna have a conniption if you're late."

It hadn't occurred to you that you would be worrying about Steve's safety so soon.

Other then the occasional candid magazine cover, there had been little said about the Avengers. You never talked to Steve about it, and he never brought it up.

Also, you'd never worried about Natasha before, either.

Steve darts from the little shop and catches a cab for Stark Tower.

You clutch your lukewarm coffee in white knuckles "You better come back to me, Steve!"

- - - -

   Natasha wasn't even worried.

   This was a simple job of tracking and bringing in the perpetrators. Finding their targets would be the most difficult part of the job.

   Steve had assigned her as his partner instead of Clint's, which was fine. They'd worked together before. Only this time, Steve was her commanding officer and there were no side jobs from Fury.

   Natasha moved like the creature she was named for, silent and stealthily in the shadows, following the muted shape of the super soldier.

   "See anything, Tony?" The Captain whispers into his earpiece.

   "Two insurgents ahead. Should be able to dispatch them easily"

   "I'll take the one on the left" Steve whispers.

   Two dark figures spring onto the dozing soldiers like lightning. There is no time to cry out before the darkness closes in on them both.

   Steve nods at Natasha approvingly.

   "Silent alarm triggered on the basement level" Tony warns "Reinforcements on the west and north hallways."

   "Finally some excitement" Natasha breathes.

   "Barnes, Barton. We're  at the end of the east hall by the stairwell."

   "I see you" Clint says "On our way"

   The first wave of soldiers rounds the corner and Steve tucks and rolls.

   Natasha dives behind a brick wall looking out to return fire every few seconds.

   Clint comes up on her right side arrow already positioned to fire.

   Natasha shouts a warning to the others and they all take cover as Clint's explosive arrow takes affect.

   The dust in the hall settles over about a dozen unfortunate Hydra agents who hadn't managed to avoid falling debris. This evens the odds considerably.

   The second wave are equipped with thick gas masks and rubber hazmat suits.

   "Wanda!" Steve gasps.

   "On it" the stoic girl's face twists into an grimace as she maneuvers the noxious gases from her team.

   "Good job" Clint places a hand on her shoulder, careful not to break her concentration.