The Dark Lord's Return

Over the following week, Voldemort had sent more than three letters saying that he would call off his army if Harry Potter and Severus Snape handed themselves over. No one would get hurt or die. 

Both of them wanted to go but Dumbledore forbid them. To say they weren't happy was an understatement. Severus was livid. If the students weren't going to get hurt, then he would happily give up his life for them. 

But no, Dumbledore struck again.

They even complained multiple times, that what was two lives to many? Dumbledore remained unmoved. 

Harry didn't know the full extent of Voldemort's cruelty and was quite willing to go walking boldly in. Severus however, was more apprehensive, which was fine, considering he had been tortured three times already.

Then on the fifth day of the week, Voldemort struck. His forces came pouring out of the Forbidden Forest, trampling any animals stupid enough to get in their path.

Dumbledore opened the doors to the castle and his students came pouring out, wands at the ready. Harry, Ron and Hermione stuck together although out the fighting, until five Death Eaters seperate from them. 

Angry purple and red hexes sailed tbrough the air, clashing with protego charms, wands and bodies. The students faces were filled with determination, the one thing that the Death Eaters didn't have. They had order, consequences, a leader and plans, but they didn't have determination. No, they were just carrying out orders.

Severus fought beside Minerva McGonagall. Old though she was, Minerva hadn't been hit once and all her opponents were given to Death. Later on in the fight though, she went to the right, whilst Severus headed slightly to the left.

The fight had been going on for an hour. Severus and Harry were a few metres away for each other. Ron and Hermione were back to back and Minerva was close to Dumbledore. 

"Stop."

Voldemort's voice rang out across the battlefield, high and loud. Everyone froze. Voldemort was standing on a slight hill, making him about half a metre tall than everyone else. To his right were the Death Eaters. To his left, were...

Severus Snape and Harry Potter.

"I have two of your best fighters, Dumbledore," Voldemort said coldly. "Stand down, or I will kill them."

Severus heard Harry gasp quietly.

"I will kill them slowly of course. Severus knows that. But the Potter boy doesn't. So stand down," the Dark Lord smiled maliciously.

"Never," Dumbledore growled.

Voldemort's dark eyes glittered cruelly. "Very well, then."

His two prisoners were forced in front of him, Severus' face set in a stony scowl while Harry's eyes betrayed his fear. He wasn't strong enough to hide his feelings, yet. Voldemort took a step towards Severus.

"Ah, Severus," he said. "My old friend. How I miss torturing you."

Severus spat on his face. The nervous whispering subsided. Voldemort wiped the spit away, his eyes narrowed into slits. Voldemort swung his hand forward to smack Severus, but he ducked and the Dark Lord almost smacked one of his own henchmen.

"Ooh, that's embarrassing, isn't it? Missing your prisoner and almost hitting your own man. Work on that aim more, I'd say," Severus said boldly.

"Crucio!" Voldemort yelled.

"Protego!" Harry shouted, raising his wand in front of Severus.

Severus glanced at Harry who was staring defiantly at the Dark Lord.

"You interfering, meddling twit!" Voldemort snarled.

"Actually, I think you're the only interfering, meddling twit here. Go do your whole 'world domination' rubbish on the moon," Severus snapped.

Voldemort nodded to someone behind Severus. He turned round to see three big looking Death Eaters and shoved Harry out of the way while also trying to stay away from Voldemort. 

"Don't risk your life like that again, it'll only make it worse," Severus muttered in Harry's ear, giving him another push.

Harry nodded and stumbled forward, running into Mrs Weasly's open arms, whether on purpose or not, Severus wasn't entirely sure, though judging by the surprised look on his face he guessed it was unintentional.

Severus tried to jump away from the Death Eaters grabbing hands but one of them got close enough that he could reach. The biggest one pulled Severus towards Voldemort by his robes. The Potions Master was forced to kneel, which would have been pretty funny if he wasn't in grave danger of being killed.

Voldemort kicked Severus backwards down the hill. Severus stood up as soon as he stopped rolling and smiled wickedly.

"You just let me go, you jerk," he grinned.