{Twelve}

Our hearts are monsters. That's why our ribs are cages.
-Unknown.
*************

-Maggie-

  "-so you're saying that she had the right to do what she did?" I mentally furrowed my eyebrows as the voice woke me up. It sounded harsh, and as much as I struggled to open my eyes I couldn't. Something felt weird and I was afraid to figure it out. My chest felt heavy, and for some reason my mouth feels full.

"Dad, maybe she wasn't thinking. Stress does this a lot and even though it wasn't right you can't blame her. The doctors said she would be fine. Why can't you just be happy?" I recognized that second voice as Sarah's, but something had caught my attention. Doctors? What is she talking about? That's when I heard a familiar beeping sound. A heart monitor. I started to freak out and continued to try to open my eyes, but it just made me tired. That's when my dad said something that made something cold wash over me. "If she wanted to suicide then she should've might as well asked someone to shoot her. This isn't my daughter, she's just another disgusting teenager out there, and instead of taking responsibility she tried to find a way out."

Suddenly I heard a smacking sound that was so loud I swear it echoed throughout the room. Another voice popped up right after. "Sarah! You did not just hit your father!" It was mom. I started panicking and kept trying to open my eyes. Why can't I move?! What's going on?

"Someone had to do it. I definitely know you weren't. Open your eyes. Look who is on that bed. She is your daughter no matter what she did or does. Haven't you guys just thought to yourself that maybe the reason she did this was because of you two?! She isn't a robot, she has feelings and the most recent ones are pain and anguish. You guys have a heart, make it beat and start acting like her real parents. If not then get out, both of you. Obviously you guys don't want to be here so you shouldn't argue." There was silence right after and a for a second I thought they would stay, that they really still love me, but then I heard a series of footsteps until they faded away. I felt cold now and all I want to do is cry, but I'm too weak, I can't. What happened and why am I here? What does dad mean by me wanting to suicide? The most important question running through my mind though, is where is Graham?

  Suddenly I heard some sobs fill the room right as a hand, Sarah's I'm guessing, held onto mine. At least I can feel my body. "Mags, I have no idea what you were thinking, but something tells me it wasn't really you who did it. Maybe for a second you just blocked out and then- oh God." Her voice broke off and she started sobbing again. "Just wake up already, that way I can ask you if you're okay and then slap the heck out of you for scaring me." She let out a forced laugh and squeezed my hand. "Graham is fine. He's actually sleeping in his car seat thingy right now in front of me. That's most likely the answer to the question you wanted to know the most. Luke called your phone earlier, and when I told him you were in the hospital he freaked out. Literally, he started rambling and demanding an answer as if to you were okay or not, and at the moment I was wishing I could've answered him but I didn't even know myself. He asked what hospital you were rushed to, but the doctors strictly said family only, and I knew it would piss dad off, which I should've obliged just for the sake of it, but you were more important, so I promised him he could visit you when you come home. Maggie he's still calling and texting asking how you're doing. I keep telling him that you're fine and that he should get some sleep, you know, considering it's already four twenty-nine in the morning, but he keeps insisting to stay awake until he sees you again. If that doesn't prove that he likes you then I have no idea what does. Promise me something when you wake up. Give the guy a chance, okay? He seems nice and to be honest I'm pretty sure he's sitting right in front of his front door like a dog waiting until you come home." She laughed, probably imagining what she just said. Luke is staying up all night because of me?