{Twenty-three}

So, if you are too tired to speak, sit next to me. Because I, too, am fluent in silence.
     -R. Arnold.

-Luke-

  "Okay, what's up with the staring?" I asked, placing my spoon down. Since the second I walked in the kitchen mum and dad have been staring at me, watching every single move I've made. From grabbing a bowl from the cupboard, to pouring myself cereal, and even when I lift the spoon up to my mouth. I ignored it at first but now it's getting creepy.

  Mum shrugged, finally turning her head in another direction as she looked down and played with the tea bag in her mug. "Oh, nothing, nothing." She said casually. I quirked my eyebrow, turning to dad who looked down almost immediately. With a sigh I lifted the spoon to my mouth and was about to take another bite when I felt their eyes on me again.

  "Alright, spit it out." I demanded. Dad started to chuckle as he turned around to pour himself some coffee whereas mum, well she just gave me a grin with a glint in her eye that would most likely give me nightmares.

  "Look Thomas, he's still on cloud nine! He's stuck in his own world that he can't tell what we're talking about." I furrowed my eyebrows as she cooed and ruffled my hair. "Mum, what on bloody earth are you talking about?" Dad groaned and lifted his hands in the air like it was the most obvious thing in the world, resulting in him dropping some coffee on the floor. Rather he had no clue it fell or he noticed and didn't care because he just started to speak. "Did you kiss the lovely lady or not?" He asked. I suddenly swallowed my tongue, completely at loss for words.

  "Aww look! He's blushing!" Mum squealed and just then I felt my face heating up. "I'm not blushing!" I defended. She let out a sarcastic laugh and pointed at the vegetable basket on the counter. "Luke, you're blushing so much that this tomato is jealous." I rolled my eyes and continued eating. That tomato should be in the FRUIT basket.

  Before I got to speak my thoughts dad spoke up. "Come on did you?" They both looked at me as they waited for me to answer. I smiled asI recalled last night, but shook my head. "No, I didn't kiss her." I replied. Mum frowned and dad gaped at me. "Why not? And if you didn't why are you smiling?" This came from dad, which surprised me. Usually mum is asking these questions while dad laughs as he watches.
I shrugged as I played eight the spoon. "I didn't get the chance to kiss her. But nonetheless I still had fun at the party yesterday."

  "What do you mean you didn't get the chance? Lucas Josephus Banfield," I cringed as mum stated my full name. I hate my middle name. "You didn't make her walk up to her doorstep on her own did you?!" I widened my eyes and shook my head. "No! No, of course not. I walked her up to her doorstep and I was going to kiss her but then her dad appeared out of nowhere."

  Mum nodded in understanding but dad raised his eyebrows, as if expecting me to say more. "What?" I asked.

  "So what was the big reason that stopped you from kissing her?" He asked with a shrug. I stared at him incredulously. Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that his expression read that he was going to taser me in a not so nice place if I didn't step away from his daughter. "Her dad was the reason. I couldn't just kiss Maggie right in front of him while he was shooting daggers at me." Mum giggled and shook her head.

  "Well that's what I did." Dad stated. I looked up at him slightly confused. Mum gasped and lightly hit his arm as she laughed. "Oh my God, I remember that day. I can't believe you did that!" She faced me and started to explain when she saw my confused face.