{Twenty-eight}

The REAL chapter!!!!!

  It's okay to be scared

It's okay to be scared. Being scared means you're about to do something really, really brave.
-Unknown

-Maggie-

"I should've noticed something happened. Why didn't you tell us Maggie?" Mom eyes were red and swollen as she spoke, her voice a bit scratchy. For the past five minutes she just cried while we sat quietly. I wanted to hug her, but Luke suggested I give her a moment, which I realize now was best.

  When Luke and I came downstairs no one said anything. Dad just simply walked into the living room and we all followed. He was currently pacing the room while mom was sitting across from Luke and I. As for Sarah, she went running off to the bathroom to throw up. By this point I had Luke's hand in a death grip. All of this was extremely hard to handle.

  "I realize now that I should've told you guys, but I couldn't when it happened. I can't- it's just, saying it out loud confirmed it, and I didn't want to face it. Like the sooner I let it go the sooner I'd forget about it. It didn't work." I took a deep breath, and closed my eyes momentarily. "I also didn't want you guys to put yourself to fault."

"Of course we'd put ourselves to fault," I opened my eye to look at dad as he started to raise his voice. "We knew you were working late that night! I should've waited outside and made sure you came out safely. Had I been there none of this would've happened!" I let go of Luke's hand and stood up.

"Had you been there Graham wouldn't be here!" Everyone looked at me with their eyebrows furrowed and I sighed. "I'm not defending that man, trust me I'm not. But when you say none of this would've happened it's like you're saying we wouldn't have to deal with Graham. Imagine a life without Graham." Mom frowned and looked down at her lap while dad's expression softened a bit.

"Graham is family Maggie, he has been since the day he appeared in your stomach. But I'm disappointed in myself for making you go through all this alone. Had I not yelled at you the day you told us you were pregnant- I just can't believe all of this right now." He excused himself before walking out of the living room. Mom reached forward and squeezed my hand. "Honey, I'm gonna go talk to him. Just, wait here." I nodded my head as she stood up and left in the same direction as dad. When she was out of sight I closed my eyes and leaned all the way back against the couch.

"I did not expect them to find out that way." I mumbled. I felt Luke nudge me and opened my eyes to look at him. "What matters is that they know. Everything is going to work out soon. We just have to wait. You did a good job handling it." I smiled softly and rested my head on his shoulder. "Thanks." Sarah came in the living room a few minutes later. Her eyes were red and her mouth was pulled down to a frown. When she looked at me her eyes began to tear up. I got up and walked up to her. She opened her arms as I reached her and began crying as we hugged.