Surprise!

Chapter 2:

“This bar is where my I got the idea for my first film and this Laundromat is where I received the phone call that changed my life.” He spoke with a sense of humility. I listened attentively just in case there was some sort of puzzle I needed to solve.

“How so?”

“My publicist called me telling me that my screenplay was going to be turned into a major motion picture and that they needed me to begin working on a script. The two happiest moments of my life happened right next door to each other. That’s why I asked you to meet me here.” He stopped walking and turned to me. I stop and look up at him. He’s a good foot taller than me so I have to tilt my head back severely to see his face.

“So, what’s the plan for the internship?” I ask and turn away. I came here to find out about this internship, not to hear his life story.

“You will be following me around the set of my new movie. Here is the script,” he hands me a brown envelop package that weighs around 10 pounds. I hug it against my chest in order to not drop it. “Give it a read and report to the address that is enclosed in that packet. There is also all of my contact information just in case you have any questions. You will also be assisting one of the actors in the film; a very grueling task but we’ve run short of assistants and you seem to be very punctual and professional. Do you have any questions?”

So many questions were circling around my brain. I decided on the two most important ones. “Um, yes, actually. I have a job and I’m a student. I graduate in a few weeks but still have assignments and final exams to complete before graduating. Will I have time to study while on set and will I still be able to keep my job?”

“As far as your job goes, I will call your boss and alert him of your internship and request that he gives you work that you can complete outside of the office. There will be time for you to study and complete assignments. I will only need you every once in a while, the main reason for this internship is to expose you to the world of film-making and give you a leg-up in the industry. The actors are all wonderful people that will be more than willing to leave you to your studies. Don’t worry about a thing, Alice, I’m making sure that this experience is a good one.”

A weight lifted from my shoulders and I burst into a smile. I couldn’t help myself from hugging him and gushed “thank you” about a hundred times. We walked back to our cars and I drove home, singing along to every song that came on the radio.

Once home, I sat down in my office and opened up the package. The first few papers were Josh’s contact information, addresses and dates for filming, and my personal crew pass. I sat those pages aside and looked at the title of the film. My eyes grew about 5 times their size and my jaw dropped.

Thor 3