Chapter 12: Noises From Headquarters

A few months passed, and Michael was so bored, that hell invaded him. His legs were weak and his meals were small.
"When will I get out of here..."
He carried his equipment and went to the Mingdom to start work.
As he was walking, there was a violent wind that flew away one of Michael's papers. He ran to grab the papers and heard a noise in the nearby distance.
The noise bounced of the compact walls that the mind readers were trapped in and he couldn't hear from which direction the noise was coming from.
'54993453663727... Type this down.'
The noise repeated again and Michael wrote in down on paper, hoping part of it was right.
"The ear. I got that part, now for one of the chosen."
Michael started to whisper the same riddle to himself.
"Heart is 5, ear is that, no chosen yet, got the year."
He ever so quietly whispered to himself. An announcement was made and everyone listened.
"Michael, please come up to the top level of the Mingdom. Thank you."
Everyone looked at Michael, and he started to panic, he left the work room and went to the highest level, where one guard took him to the captains room.
"Thanks, guard."
He gave a straight face to him and Michael started to silently panic. The captain sat on his chair and started to speak.
"Michael, as I'm becoming very old, I will retire soon, so I've chosen you take over this place when I'm gone."
"Really?"
Michael excitedly asked.
"Really."
His posh voice was music to Michael's ears.
"How do I run as captain though?"
Ah, I thought you'd ask me that. We had headquarters make a series of numbers for you that you writ down yeah?"
"Wait, that's where the noise came from. Yeah, I wrote that number down."
Michael replied.
"That was your shortcut. You basically have the answer."
Michael started jumping nearly, he was so happy and then questioned one thing.
"What is the 'One of the Chosen' in the riddle?"
"You're the chosen silly, make any number you want in the riddle and then add the heart, ear and year. Done and dusted."
Michael left the room in exhilaration.
"And, Michael! Don't let anyone know, PLEASE."
He nodded back and left the room in a straight face.
He left work for the day and slept in his camp.