Part 10

Pre-Note: so ps I'll probably be hella uploading the next few weeks bc break and stuff and I have no life so yknow but yeah obviously I won't be on tomorrow and the day after because Christmas yay!! So yes happy holidays everyone!!!! :D

I sat at the dining room table, drumming my fingers softly against the wood.

He was supposed to call every night at 8:00, exactly. And the last two nights, he had. 8:00, right on the dot. It was 8:07.

I knew I shouldn't be worried. He probably fell asleep or something. But, I couldn't help but worry. My best friend who couldn't remember a single thing was hours away from me, alone. 

And then it hit me.

What if he got his memory back, and therefore didn't know he was supposed to call me? That would be even worse; he would be so confused. And I wouldn't be there to explain everything.

I instantly unlocked my phone, my hands trembling a little. I hoped that wasn't the case. But at the same time, I did. God, all I've wanted for the past two weeks was for his memory to come back, and now I prayed it hadn't.

It rang. Twice. Three times. Voice mail.

I pursed my lips and waited for the tone. He wasn't answering. Which was even worse.

"H-hey, Ian, it's... me. Just... call me back as soon as you can, okay?"

I instantly hung up and held the phone tight in my hands, letting out a deep breath. I was worried. Jesus, I was so worried.

A minute later, Kalel walked out. I instantly looked down and cleared my throat a little.

"Hey, babe, you should come watch this movie with me. It's really good."

I sat still for a moment, thinking. These past two days had been hell. Absolute hell. I hadn't had the courage to break up with her yet, and we hadn't really talked about what happened, so basically, things were just... awkward. And every time Ian came up, she just got so pissed. Like she didn't even care.

"I need to go back to Sacramento," I blurted out, looking down at my hands and bracing myself for her response.

She sighed rather overdramatically. "Anthony, you've been home two days."

"Ian won't answer the phone. I have a bad feeling."

Although I still couldn't get my eyes to meet her's, I could almost feel her anger in the air.

"He's fine. He probably wants some space anyways. Please come watch this movie with me."

I shook my head, standing up.

"I have to go."

She stared up at me. Her eyes were firm. Demanding.

"I'm not letting you leave again."

I stared at her for a moment, then walked toward the door.

"Anthony-"

"You don't control me. I need to make sure he's okay."

"Anthony, what about me?! You expect me to be okay with you spending weeks and weeks away from home and not letting me come up there? Do you even care about me anymore?!"

"Do you even care that my best friend almost died?!" I snatched my jacket from where it was hanging by the door. "You're so damn selfish."

"Selfish?" Her mouth dropped open a little. "You've barely talked to me in the past two weeks! In case you're forgetting, you live here. I'm your girlfriend. Anthony, I-"

"It's over."

For a brief moment, it was quiet. I stood with my hand on the doorknob, watching her. I just blurted it so out-of-nowhere, but I didn't care. I told myself I was going to do it, so I did.

"What?" Her voice was soft and hurt now. Finally she gave any sort of thought to something I said.

"I love Ian," I said, opening the door. "I always have, and I always will."

And then I slammed the door and walked away, leaving my now ex-girlfriend standing on the other side, her jaw on the floor and her heart split in two.