Chapter 11:

-----☆Work Text:

Somewhere around the altercation with the king, Celine proposed to seek the aid of the Woodland Elves and the Dwarves of Erebor, as well as the men from the rising kingdom of Dale, a rather wise idea that the stubborn old man just insultingly laughed at.

His doubt towards possible allies seemed to have originated from the mistrust he directed at Gondor and -much to the inconvenience of her negotiation- had arbitrarily spread towards every bit of viable assistance.

And as aforementioned, it didn't stop the swordsmaster from doing something.

She waited until midnight before making her way towards the highest tower of Helm's Deep. Once there, she raised the miniature silver flute that hung from the delicate thin chains of silver starlight - a gift from Thranduil- that hung around her neck to her lips and whistled a tune that ascended from low to high in such a melodic transition as if a song -which it very much is.

A pair of large owls had immediately answered her call, their wing span reaching each ends of her arms when stretched out on her sides. It never really takes her long to call her companions and she gave them both a genuine smile.

"Dusk," she addressed the obsidian black owl with emerald green eyes with a nod of her head and an outstretched arm that the bird was quick to perch on. As she was ruffling its feathery neck, she could hear the familiar flap of another pair of wings and the close gust of wind as another weight settled on her other shoulder, wings retreating and slightly brushing her hair in the process.

Looking at the other owl, she admired its pristinely white feathers and watery pools of blue as she leaned towards the great bird's side and nuzzled her cheek on the creature's sturdy chest, "Dawn," she breathed their snowy scent as she also pulled Dusk close to her, enjoying the warmth that their feathery bodies gave her.

"I missed you two," she cooed after awhile, letting her guarded armor fall around her wonted companions as she lead them to perch on the stone railings while retrieving the letters she wrote earlier.

Dawn crooned in turn, as if saying that they too, missed her as well. The black owl nodded in affirmation before using his beak to clean his wings from seemingly nonexistent dirt. Celine chuckled at this, Dusk always seemed to be the overly neat type of guy for an owl, Dawn barely even cares if she had twigs all over her wings and feathers so long as it won't hinder her flight.

Seeing the owl having some difficulties with removing a bright green leaf under its neck, the girl quickly reached one brown leather gloved hand to cautiously remove the bothersome item from the bird, "Here, wait, I got it."

A green leaf huh...

A wistful smile made its way across the girl's lips as she looked at the unsuspecting item with adoration in her eyes,

Legolas.

Before a sudden realization made her flinch and let go of it as if the leaf burnt through the thick glove she wore.

Why am I thinking about him?!

The wind carried the object far from her until it was out of reach and she only watched it hoping that her feelings would just meet the same fate as the disappearing leaf.

Out of sight, out of mind. Out of reach,

And out of my heart...

Furiously shaking her head, she went back to business. Retrieving all three navy envelopes she had in her pockets, she held one up to the moonlight in an attempt to read the address she wrote.

"What are those?" A voice came from within the shadows.

The girl didn't even have to turn to acknowledge the voice in order to know who it was, nevertheless, it made her pause from what she's doing and lowered the item as she stood in a defensive stance in front of the animals she now considered her kin.

"Aragorn." Her voice was low as she slowly turned towards the man who was making his way towards her.

The Dunedain politely nodded his head once as he allowed himself to stand beside her on the rails, still eyeing the envelopes on her hands.

After a few moments of silence, Celine carried on with what she was doing before Aragorn interrupted her. She produced a golden ribbon from the leather pouch that hung on her waist as well as two unsuspecting brown packets that could fit the envelopes she had.

Placing two on each, the Dunedain was quick to snatch the last one from her grasp before she could even tie the drawstring of the bag closed.

"What are these?" He asked once more, his voice dropping to a tone hinting that he wanted answers now.

With a sigh, the swordsmaster decided that an answer might make the man finally leave her be for the night, "That is a letter addressed to King Thranduil. A request for the aid of the Woodland Realm in battle." She then stealthily snatched the item back seeing that the Dunedain was a bit too caught up with thinking as just who on earth was she referring to.

Then moments later, it dawned upon him, "King Thranduil of the Woodelves from Mirkwood?" He asked, the entirety of him way too incredulous for her liking, "Legolas' father?"

"And a friend of mine, yes." She countered and placed the letter on the bag that hung around Dawn's neck by the golden ribbon.

"How?" He asked once more.

Celine finally felt her patience wavering as she turned to the man with a raised eyebrow, "How?" She prompted.

Aragorn walked closer, "How were you able to make such friendship with elves to the point that you openly entertain the idea of receiving help from them in battle?" His blue eyes were narrowed as if willing her out of what he seemed to think was a way too idealistic way of looking at things.

Celine shook her head with a smirk on her face, "You never heard of it then..." She trailed off and looked back to the letters she wrote, "You would be equally unbelieving as well if I were to say that I also wrote to Durin's folk and the men from Dale, yes?" Her secretive lilac eyes were back on his and the glimmer in them was enough for Aragorn to realize something.

"You were a part of it. The Battle of the Five Armies..." The Dunedain gasped before his eyes widened to the most that his face could allow, "- the Celestial Priestess, the one who perched upon the Great Tiger. The girl who prevented unnecessary wars between the dwarves and the elves and the race of men. The one who slayed Azog the Defiler," then he thought about the stories he heard of how she defended Erebor's newly crowned king and a smile lit up his already astounded features, "The dwarf king swore an oath to you, as the stories had told. Is there any truth to that?"

Celine nodded, "As well as the Elvenking and Bard the Dragon Slayer." She pressed a kiss on each of the owls' forehead and murmured a silent prayer for their safety.

May the stars light your way and never lead you astray.

May the Valars grant you strength to carry the weight of your tasks and may this prayer serve as a charm that in the cold nights would keep you warm.

For my heart beats as yours, and your heart beats as mine.

Now and forevermore.

"Now take to the sky and say hello to Luna for me, okay?" She whispered softly. Both owls nodding and nuzzling her cheeks and hands before taking off.

But it never failed to escape the ears of the other who continued to hide in the shadows.

Unknown to both mortals who are now waist deep in conversation of the past that had never been spoken of.

'If you never wanted to talk about it then why do you speak so freely with Aragorn?' The elven prince found himself frowning as he continued to watch them with his arms crossed over his chest.

'Now let us hear whatever it was that you never wanted me to know...'

-----☆To be continued