Chapter 13: Uncharted Memories, What Ails The Indecisive Mind

-----☆Work Text:

It had been a known fact that elves require less sleep compared to other beings.

But that doesn't mean they don't need it.

One ellon, in particular, needed all the rest he could get for the battle tomorrow but not even his own exhaustion would allow him such luxury even though his own body is already screaming that he needed sleep.

His mind was overflowing with plethora of thoughts and emotions that he couldn't place and process all at the same time.

He found himself pondering from the moment he took one last look at his friend and the girl back at the tower, and even as he counted the steps he would require to get to his own tent.

Facing the flap of the entrance to his temporary resting place, he realized he was not even closer to taking a step forward with his thoughts now. His mind practically never really even left its position from before.

Legolas inwardly groaned as he entered the tent and laid himself down the makeshift bed he made for himself earlier when he had the time.

Staring up at the tarnished yellow surface he could consider as the closest thing he could get for a ceiling at the moment, he finally allowed the memories he had been seeing to drown him in.

-----

It was around the middle of the month of Celine's stay in Mirkwood when it happened.

She had been 'bored out of her wits' -as per her words- when she decided -on her own- to help him with his daily patrol around their borders. The elf had been forced to comply when she offered to teach him how to ride Luna afterwards.

It had always been his dream to ride something else aside from horses and his father's elk.

None of them expected the ambush from a group of orcs camping nearby, but that doesn't mean they weren't armed and ready to fight if need be.

It was only the two of them, but they managed.

Like they always do.

Take your leap of faith, Legolas. I would not let you fall!

He would always hear her say the same thing over and over again when he's caught up in dangerous situations until he complies and not once did she fail him.

She had always been there to catch him. Whether it be from the highest tree in Mirkwood, the steepest cliff just beyond the edges of the Woodland Realm, the tallest tower in Dale or simply her reaching out and offering him a ride on Luna. From his issues with his own father, his dreams of wanting to travel across Middle Earth, the absence of his mother, his life as a prince and his unrequited love for Tauriel.

It would always be the same sentence spoken from the same earnest rose toned lips. Whether it had been relevant or not.

It had always been her way of saying that she'll always be there for him.

-----

And then the memories shifts to something else that he swears he'd never seen before.

She was a few feet away from him, her back on his and he swears this couldn't have been a memory because the clothes that this Celine is wearing are the exact same ones she dons now.

He could feel his body walk up to her in some sort of a drunken daze.

"What are you doing out here?" He could hear his fogged voice say.

And she turns to acknowledge him with a different light on her eyes and face. The kind that makes her eyes brighter and entertains a slight blush that rose on her fair cheeks.

"The air inside is a bit too cramped. I figured I might as well stay out here since I really don't have anything to do in there."

And he says something he couldn't quite comprehend, she replies but her voice was muted as if they were both suddenly under water and her lips twitches into a shy little smile.

He seemed to have resurfaced moments later, the next words she spoke loud and clear as she slowly leaned closer to him,

"Are you drunk?"

He could feel a smile of his own flitting through his lips as he shook his head.

A tinkling chuckle resounded throughout his ears and he swears the tingle that passed through his spine was not because of the alcohol he just consumed.

"I do not know whether or not I should be happy with your answer," she paused when there was nothing more but an inch between their lips, "nevertheless, promise me you would not move."

"Promise."

"Can I kiss you? You don't have to kiss back, just... Let me." This Celine breathed out and he could feel himself nod his head as she closed the distance between them and all he could feel were soft rose petals on his lips.

One of his arms wound around her waist as the other cradled the back of her head and pulled her closer to him as he reciprocated the kiss with equal new found vigor.

They broke apart gasping for the breaths that they lost before bursting out laughing uncontrollably.

And then he seemed to detach from his own body there on out as he felt himself slowly being pulled away until all he could see was the other him holding the girl close to his chest in an embrace before everything faded into grey.

-----

Legolas woke up with a start, his breathing heavy and his palms sweating as if he'd just been submerged into water and had been forcibly pulled out when he was close to drowning.

Looking around, he could see the darkness he had fallen victim to now replaced by the brightness of the first light of dawn.

"I... Was dreaming." He breathed out, testing his voice and making sure it was his own and not the cloudy one he heard in his dreams. It wasn't. And so he finally convinced himself that he was awake and had indeed been dreaming.

Shaking his head, he sat up and tried to inspect the familiar dull state of his tent, "but it all seemed real."

It all felt real.

Her lips. His touch. Her smile. Their laugh.

Everything about it seemed real. And warm and pleasant.

And far out of reach.

He lethargically stood up at the thought and just as he was about to make his way out of the tent, he heard an all too familiar voice.

Take your leap of faith, Legolas. Fall. I will catch you like I always do.

You don't have to do anything. Just...

Let me love you.

Piercing blue eyes blinked as he scanned his tent for any other occupants. Seeing none, he went on his way.

They all have a big day ahead of them.

Yet he couldn't shrug off the heaviness he could feel settling on his shoulders and spreading throughout his body like wildfire.

What am I doing?

What am I thinking?

What is happening to me?

-----

Take a leap, before it's too late,

Dear child.

-----☆To be continued