Chapter 14:

-----☆Work Text:

It was precisely around dawn when Celine had awoken from a rather pleasant slumber on Aragorn's lap.

Which was of course the last place she would expect herself to be in had she been resilient enough last night to keep her resolution from crumbling down her feet.

Which is unfortunately, not the case.

The events of last night had replayed vividly in her mind that when she had first woken up to the light of dawn and looked up to see the Dunedain's peacefully sleeping face, she had been utterly relieved.

Lavender hues immediately snapped shut the moment she heard the footsteps of a woman climbing up the stairs in haste.

She had been feigning sleep ever since then.

"Lord Aragorn, Lord Aragorn?" The woman's voice called out as if bearing news and desperately searching for the man. It didn't take her long to make out that the voice had belonged to Lady Eowyn.

She seemed to have developed quite the fascination to their resident ranger. Celine tried her hardest not to snicker in her pretend sleep.

Of course she wouldn't know about Arwen. No one in the Fellowship knows and not even Aragorn knows that Celine knew about it.

It was never spoken of. Love lives really don't seem to matter as much as it should have when you're all fighting for your lives and against the world's apparent doom.

Seeing the position the man she was searching for and the girl -he was with upon his disappearance and arrival- was in, Eowyn wouldn't have been able to hold back the gasp that left her lips even if she tried.

The seemingly younger girl who had come out as a dangerously snark and cold warrior to her at first now looked nothing more but prone and vulnerable as her fragile form curled up on the sturdy man's lap much like how a cat would to her owner.

Aragorn in turn had a hand tangled on the now loose strands of blue as if he had fallen asleep running his fingers through the silken tresses while his other laid on one slender arm. His breathing came out in deep rhythms before the presence of another being besides the two of them had slowly began to rouse him up from his slumber.

Pulling back the hand that rested on the girl's arm, the ranger ran a hand through his face in an attempt to sweep away the last remnants of sleep in his eyes. Registering a pair of heeled shoes, then the hem of a dress, he slowly looked up to see the troubled face of the shieldmaiden of Rohan,

"My lady, what are you doing in these parts so early in the morning?" He asked groggily before attempting to stand up only to learn that the swordsmaster was still occupying his lower body.

It took a couple of breaths for Eowyn to answer but when she did, her eyes were wide before they furrowed and looked at the two of them in suspicion, "Shouldn't I be asking you that question? What is a man and a woman doing in this part of Helm's Deep so late at night that you seemingly fell asleep right where you were?"

She could feel Aragorn freeze in place and she could swear there was a bit of jealousy in the tone that the lady had used there and so, thinking that there's no more use in playing her little game of feigning sleep and that this might get a little bit out of hand should it be left in the hands of the newly woken ranger, Celine had finally intervened.

"I do not mean to offend but I do believe that Aragorn's whereabouts and the people he is with is the least of your concern, my dearest lady." Her voice spoke out in impeccable fluidity even after being hoarse from last night. Blinking a bit to stabilize her vision, she decided to run an arm through her eyes as she sat up and settled beside the Dunedain, calmly watching the woman before them fidget in embarrassment.