Listen to the Rain- Ch 5

Ch 5

A long breath, heavy and deep, escaped my lips, audibly. The smell of rubbing alcohol and a mix of other medicines roamed the air. I hated it.

"You'll be fine, honey," my mother tried to sooth. Not that it was helping one bit. I wasn't afraid, or nervous, I just gagged at the smell of hospitals.

I could sense the nervousness wafting from my mother. After finding out that I had fainted at the dance, she insisted that I go see my physician. Of course, I knew she had her suspicions. I knew them all too well. Apparently she couldn't trust me anymore.

"Viola," a nurse called.

Standing swiftly, I moved to the door, with my mother following. "How are ya?" the nurse asked her southern accent seeping through.

"Fine." I really didn't want to be here. Well it's not like my mom did either, but I already had plans for today that ended up being canceled because of me. Ugh.. Parents always messed with my life. I thought my parents knew me well enough to know not to mess with mine, yet here I am.

The nurse's voice pulled me from my thoughts. "I'm gonna take your blood pressure, and temperature then ya doctor should be right 'n. Ok?"

I nodded, slightly in a daze.  Ignoring everything, I wanted this to be over. The door slammed closed, signaling the nurse leaving.

"Are you sure you aren't pregnant?" my mother asked for just about the millionth time.

"Mom," I groaned, "I've told you, I'm still a virgin."

"And I'm supposed to believe that statement?  It's not like you haven't lied before."

"You really think I wouldn't tell you?" I threw back, "I don't care if you believe me or not. You can call Harmony, she'll tell you the exact same thing. I swear."

"Tell me it was protected?"

"Mom!" I almost screamed this time, my voice rising in pitch, "I swear on Dad's grave, nothing has happened between us."

The door swung open once more, revealing Dr. Halls. "Afternoon, Mrs. Riccicardi," nodding towered my mom, "Viola."  She smiled kindly.

"Your temp was normal, but your blood pressure was slightly above normal.  That's nothing to be concerned about.  Yours has always been a little high. I'm not sure why you're here though."

"Well," I explained, "a week ago, today happened to be the winter formal..." I relayed the events of that night, trailing up to the present. "So I was dragged here because my mother happens to think I'm pregnant."

"Well that's nothing to be worried about until it's proven. We can run a few tests to see if any come out positive and work from there."

---------

Negative. Negative. Negative.

"If you would only believe me, mom," I scoffed.

"Well, I just wanted to make sure."

"Make sure what? I wasn't lying, or you weren't a grandma to be?  Or were you seeing if you could shun Eric from my life?" My voice caught, "Which one? Either way, if the tests were positive-"

"Breathe, Viola," Dr. Halls urged gently. Even though I choked on my own words.  "Breathe normally."

Closing my eyes, I relaxed, concentrating on my own breath. Letting anger seep from my fingers, into the air where I could no longer reach.

"One last thing before you go," Dr. Halls addressed me, "I'm gonna check your heartbeat."

Ka-thump

Ka-thump

Ka-thum-p

Ka-Thum-P

I could feel my heart rattling in my chest as I tried to keep even breaths as, listening.

Ka-Thum-P

Ka-Thum-P

The stethoscope aroused goose bumps across my skin as the cool metal trailed over it; shivering in response.

Dr. Halls face turned blank, as she closed her eyes, concentrating on my heart beat. "Murmur," she whispered.

"Excuse me?" my mother asked.

"She has a heart murmur.  Unusual, she's never had it before."

"Is that why she fainted?"

"It could've been because of stress, or the heart murmur, but I'm not totally sure. We could run some tests to find out."

"No, its fine," I replied before my mother could answer.

"Viola, we are taking the tests," she stated certainly. "Don't you remember you father at all?"

"Of course I do. He's not someone I could ever forget."

A smile miles wide pasted my small lips. The soft warm wind ruffled my white blonde hair. Warmth of the sun tickled my pale skin. Cloth underneath me of the picnic blanket cooled my warming skin.

Clouds danced in the sky, forming anything I could imagine. Another world awaiting to be unfolded with a story. The wind twirled the white fluff, decorating the sky, entertaining my mind.

"See that?" whispered dad, pointing just above the tree, looming a couple dozen feet away.

Laughing quietly.  "Yes, it's a dog," I whispered back, not wanting my voice to scare off the shapes in the sky.

The days before complication. Every day was easy with nothing to worry about. Life wasn't torn to shreds, I knew nothing of pain, sorrow, or death. Carefree, that's the way I wish life would always be.

-------

Hours slid by as test after test was taken. Memories clouded my mind and tears welled in my eyes.

"We can leave."  Mom's voice cut through my thoughts as a knife through butter. I stood up without a word, walking out.