►chapter twentyone ♣ enoytnewt retpahc◄

"I j-just wanted to t-talk to h-her!" Faith wailed.

She'd been dragged to the Headmistress' office, being as she was the first one to find Jessica hanging by her neck in her room, eyes wide and skin white. She'd been sobbing ever since, forcing the tears to go down her cheeks with ease, but for some reason that bothered her. It bothered that she could be so convincing, that she could trick anyone on a whim. Her stomach coiled, and she felt her body get anxious, but she wouldn't stop. No, she was trained to endure the worsts of physical pain, and this was no different.

"I'm sorry you were exposed to that Faith, but I need to know what happened." The Headmistress spoke with a soft voice, delicate and gentle as to not spook an unshakable Faith.

"S-She kissed my b-boyfriend! And- and then called me a b-bitch. But someone filmed the e-encounter, and s-sent it to e-everyone. It was h-humiliating!" Her sobs grew louder and the Headmistress handed her a tissue. "Thank you." She sniffed and blew her nose before continuing. "Everyone was being s-so mean to her, so I j-just wanted to- to talk it out. When I knocked no one a-answered, so I just opened the door and-" She didn't finish the sentence, letting the Headmistress think what she wanted.

"I see. Thank you for telling me. I think I understand what happened, you are dismissed." Faith nodded standing up and turned to the door, but the hand on her shoulder, that made her skin tingle and shiver in disgust, stopped her. "And take the day off, I can see how hard this has been for you." Her eyes full of sympathy. Nodding once more, Faith left the office.

Damon was waiting outside her room, hands in his pockets and back leaning against the door. His hair fell carelessly over his eyes, and his jaw clenched before relaxing when he saw her, his face fell into a frown as he watched her open the door and close it behind him. Once making sure Caroline was out of the room she wiped her tears, but couldn't find it in her to smile.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked, pulling her into his lap on the bed. His nose grazed her neck.

"Why do you hang out with me?" She asked in a soft voice, not meeting his eyes as he laid back. She kept her hands on his chest, and her eyes on her hands.

"Where's this coming from?" His tone was unusually caring. Deep, and slow as he caressed her arms.

"Can you just answer the question, please?"

"I hang out with you, because I like you. You're beautiful and perfect. I've never met anyone more real with me, and I thank you for trusting me with who you really are." He kissed her hair, hugging her closer, but she pulled away and sat up, finally meeting his eyes.

"But I kill people! I thrive off their sadness and despair! And you don't even know who I really am. If you did you'd be running for the hills." She fiddled with her fingers, looking down at them as if they'd save her. Damon gripped her chin and forced her to look at him.

"Hey, I'm not going anywhere." Her lips quivered, and she couldn't control the tears that began to fall.

"I'm psychotic, Damon. I'm going to hurt you. Just like I've hurt all those other people!" She cried hysterically into his chest, gripping his shirt in an iron fist.

"You won't hurt me. I trust you, baby." Suddenly angry, she pushed off of him and began pacing in the room.

"Why?! How could you possibly trust me?! I'm crazy! I play on people's emotions! For all you know, I've been faking this whole time just to break you in the end!" A frown settled over his lips.

"You're not. I know you." He stood up in front of her, not letting her go anywhere as anger filled his eyes. "You are crazy, and psychotic, and homicidal, yes. But you are also the most beautiful, real, and interesting girl I've ever met. I know you aren't playing me, because you feel the same way about me as I feel about you." He cupped her cheeks as the tears began to fall again. "Baby, where is this coming from?" He pleaded, concern filling his gaze.

Faith's brows furrowed as she thought about it. Where had that come from? She'd never second guessed herself, nor how Damon felt about her. She could feel his heart, his emotions like everyone else, and she knew he wasn't faking anything. So why had she blown up like that. The surge of random emotions were new to her. Never had she experienced such self-consciousness. Her eyes widened in realization and she pulled Damon in for a kiss, lips moving hungrily against each other's as his arm curled around her frame, pulling her flush against her.

Slowly, she walked him towards the door, and with speed he had no time to react to, pushed him out the door. "I need to do something. I'll see you later. I promise." Then slammed the door shut. She turned around, pausing for a second before opening the door back and pulling Damon by his tie back in for another kiss, this one slow and love filled. When she pulled back she smiled at how his eyes were still closed and a grin spread over his lips. "Come by tonight." She whispered, pecking him on the lips once more before moving away and slamming the door shut.

The smile quickly slipped off as he touched her fingers to her lips. They still tingled. The emotion she felt during that last kiss was something she'd never felt herself. Only second-hand. Love was something she'd never had to deal with, since love brought hope, and happiness, feelings she couldn't feel since she was a demon. Curling her hands into fists, she grabbed a bowl from the kitchen and a knife.

With one quick movement, she sliced her palm open, letting the blood flow into the bowl as she whispered the words her father taught her. Within moments, her father stood before her in all his glory. "We have a problem." He furrowed his brows, not understanding. She looked him in the eye, squaring back her shoulders and holding her hands behind her body.

"I'm turning human."