Chapter 5

My eyes flicked up to the stage when the band went quiet—just as they had every time a song ended, before making their way over to her. Over to where she was sitting just beside Emily, smiling as they talked and ate. And every so often, she'd be looking back at me, too.

Dinner was nearly over. My chest didn't feel so heavy any more, though it did still ache every time she looked away. And my heart had calmed, skipping a beat only when her eyes locked on mine, as her lips quirked up in a suppressed smile. I wasn't very hungry, though. My plate was still mostly full before me, and the few bites I'd had rolled around uncomfortably in my stomach, prodding at the last bit of nerves residing there. But at least I knew now that she was okay with my being here. That she didn't hate me for showing up without her knowledge. That she wanted to talk to me, too.

Phil, the singer, cleared his throat into the microphone. "I hope everyone is enjoying their meal." He paused as the room when quiet, and smiled as people began turning their heads toward him. "If you'd please turn your attention to the stage, it's time for a toast from Madelyn, the maid of honor."

My heart jolted at the sight of her walking up the steps to the stage, and for her because she'd told me she was nervous. And knowing she was nervous made me nervous. So did the way she didn't even glance my way as she stepped in front of the microphone.

"Um, hello everyone," she said softly, smiling into the crowd. Even from the distance, I could see her chest was already going red. I wanted to jump up on that stage just to deflect everyone's attention from her. Almost as much as I was enjoying the excuse to stare at her. I glanced sideways when Violet elbowed me, flashing me a quick, knowing smile before returning her attention to Mads.

And for a moment, it was strange—sitting here while someone I loved stood up there, in front of people. It must've been what my family and friends felt like all the time when they watched me. Nerves and pride and love. And more pride.

"For those of you who don't know me—although, after my mother's speech, I probably don't need to say this—I'm Madelyn Freeman. Mark's younger sister, and Emily's best friend. So, it should've been easy for me to come up with some fun stories about both of them. Like how Mark used to cry because he was terrified of the dark, or how Emily has always been obsessive compulsive about pretty much everything."

A few chuckles sounded, which eased something in me, and seemed to ease something for her.

"But the problem I kept having while trying to think of something worth sharing was that there are just too many good stories. Too many really amazing memories that I have with both of them. Individually and as a couple. So, I figured... I'll just tell you their story."

She looked over at them before continuing. Emily and Mark both smiled.

"My mom already mentioned that Emily and I grew up together. So can you imagine... these two didn't even seem to see each other for twenty years. Through childhood and puberty and the shame of having braces—Emily's teeth were not that straight all her life no matter what she'd like you to think."

Everyone chuckled again, and Emily placed her hand over her eyes.

"Anyway... I think a big part of the reason they didn't see each other while growing up was because Mark was always several years older than us. Em and I faced the difficulties of high school long after he did, and then took on college long after he'd already secured himself a full-time job. And when Emily and I moved into a cramped apartment on the Lower East Side together only a few years ago, Mark was living in Brooklyn..." she paused to smirk, and clear her throat, "Sowing his wild oats, I suppose you could say."