Chapter 12

I didn't want to smile, but I couldn't really help it.

"And then," Jeff exclaimed, everyone's laughter slowly dying around him as he finished the story. "Harry just whips it out and starts peeing against the wall!"

All eyes turned to me... including hers.

"I was totally pissed," I said. A weak defense. "No pun intended."

Everyone laughed harder at that, and I couldn't stop the way my own laughter bubbled up my throat. Even though my plan had been to remain as unemotional, as cold as possible this evening, almost as soon as we'd sat down amongst my closest friends, I realized just how difficult that would be.

And I realized how silly it was to keep myself away from them for as long as I had. Because we were only an hour into this dinner, and I already felt better. I'd also eaten more in that hour than I had this entire week, and I'd forgotten how good it felt to feel satiated—how much brighter the world seemed on a full stomach.

But that could've also been because she was sitting directly across from me. It could've been because I hadn't seen her smile or laugh so much in years. It could've been because she'd come after all, despite the way I'd treated her last night. Or it could've been because every so often, her foot would brush against mine, and she'd meet my eye for a quick moment before glancing away, and sipping her drink, a flush coming over her cheeks as she set her glass down again.

My whole body quaked with the anticipation of it possibly happening again.

"Ah, ca'mon Harry. Everyone knows ya like ta whip it out whenever you see an opportunity," Niall said, his accent paired with his laughter and the fact that he'd already had several pints making the words almost unintelligible.

Laughter sounded again, and I glared at my friend... my brother. Almost ten years I'd known him. Ten years he'd made fun of me, and I, him. And when he laughed like that—that carefree, distinct sound I could place anytime, anywhere—it was like we were still sixteen and seventeen year olds. Still the kids that had auditioned for the X-Factor, and had been tossed together thinking that surely we'd never last, but that if the impossible happened and we did, if we won the competition, our lives would be set.

We didn't even win. But as it turned out, we didn't have to.

"Piss off, mate," I said, still smiling despite the embarrassment. I could feel her gaze on me and wondered what she might be thinking.

"You're just bitter cause it's true," Jeff added, tipping his beer back as Glenne leaned forward beside him.

"Can we stop talking about penises please? I enjoyed my chicken on the way down, but somehow, I don't think I'll like it as much on its way back up," she said with a wince.

Jeff chuckled and kissed her on the temple, but didn't answer.

Madelyn surprised me by adding, "I'm going to have to agree with Glenne on that."

The two had taken a liking to each other, as evidenced by their sitting beside one another when we'd arrived. Glenne smiled and nodded at Madelyn now, and while it wasn't the first time Mads had contributed to the conversation tonight, it was still strange to have her here, to hear her voice amongst my friends' voices, especially given the circumstances of her presence.

"Sorry ladies," Niall said, lifting his dark Guinness to his smirking mouth. "Didn't mean ta offend your feminine sensibilities."

"Oh, fuck off," Glenne said then, and Niall nearly spewed his mouthful of beer onto the table.

Madelyn laughed, and I glanced over in time to see her cover her mouth with a hand. I had to work really hard not to smile at the sight.

"How would you feel if we dominated the conversation with talk of vaginas all night?" Glenne asked.