Chapter 25

I didn't want the nerves to get to me. It was silly to be so nervous, I reminded myself. It wasn't like we hadn't seen each other. It wasn't like I didn't know what she wanted. It wasn't like we hadn't already established that we loved each other.

Still, I ran around my kitchen propelled by nervous energy that only seemed to build on itself the closer it got to seven o'clock. And there was nothing left to be done. The roast was resting on the stove, the vegetables were in the oven, and the puddings were done. All that was left was to plate everything up, so I scrambled, walking around my kitchen aimlessly as I wondered whether I should wait till she got here, or whether I should have everything set out and ready when she knocked on the door.

But before I could think about it any longer, those knocks I'd been expecting sounded, and my stomach leapt up and seemed to stay suspended somewhere in my chest, my heart beating wildly beside it.

I took a deep breath and ran a hand through my hair before opening the door, but I very nearly gasped when I took in the sight of her.

She was wearing a white top beneath a leather jacket, a pretty, purple floral skirt that sat high on her hips, and a pair of black heeled boots. Her hair was softly curled around her face, and her eyes—Jesus, they were sparkling the moment they met mine.

"Hi," she said, and her excitement was tangible.

Or maybe that was just because my excitement felt like it was about to burst out of my body through every single one of my pores.

"Hi," I said, smiling as her smile widened.

And I forgot myself for another few moments—just stared at her.

Though we'd spent very nearly the whole night together (I hadn't left Glenne's until four in the morning), and a good part of the day together today (we'd gone out for lunch with Jeff and Glenne, and I'd asked Madelyn to come over for dinner tonight) it still felt like it had been too long since I'd seen her. And I wondered if I'd ever get used to seeing her, and knowing she was mine again. But with the feeling she gave me now—the strange mix of excitement, and an almost sort of terror every time I looked at her and saw how beautiful she was—I wouldn't mind if that never went away.

"Sorry," I said with a shake of my head after doing nothing but stare at her for several more moments, "Please, come in."

I stood aside as she stepped into my house, into my kitchen, and closed the door behind her.

"Wow," she said, and I turned to find that she had only taken a few steps into the room. "It smells incredible."

"Here," I said, reaching to help her take her jacket off. Her shirt was a tank top, and the material was thin enough that I could see the strap of her bra through it. I cleared my throat. "Have a seat," I said with a smile.

Mads glanced back at me with a grin of her own, and sat at the island counter.

I went right for the stove, turned the heat on underneath the peas, and checked the vegetables roasting in the oven. "We're almost there," I announced, closing the oven door and turning to face her with a smile. "Hope you're hungry."

She cocked her head to the side and gave me a look that seemed to say I should know better. "I'm always hungry."

I laughed. "Right. Some things don't change, I suppose."

I stirred the gravy on the stove next, and was still smiling when she said from behind me, "Where'd you learn to cook like this? You really went all out."

I glanced back at her. Madelyn's eyes were on the table I had already set, and I smirked when she met my eye again. "Don't sound so surprised."

She giggled a little, and I noted that her cheeks were already flushed. "I - I just... you didn't have to go to all this trouble."