Chapter 15

Sophie fought the Neverseen with an energy she didn't even knew she had. She knocked down Neverseen agents left and right. Her vision went dim and rage took over. There was just. So. Much. Rage. 

Rage at the Neverseen, but mostly, rage at herself. How had she let this happen. HOW? The anger kept her going, fueling her. Until finally the dust settled down, Sophie's vision returned and her head cleared. She took a step back into the pile of ruble. Black cloaks littered the floor, none of them moving. "Keefe!" Sophie cried out, "Fitz! Biana! Dex! Tam! Linh!" Sophie's voice cracked and her knees went weak. "Anyone..." Sophie whispered tears leaving pale white tracks on her dust covered face, "Please," Sophie's knees finally gave out before she fainted.

Sophie was riding on Silveny, the wind was blowing in her hair and the sky was crystal clear. All of the worry, pain, anger, fear that she had been holding inside of had just vanished. And perhaps for the first time in her life-she felt like a normal, teenage girl. Sophie laughed as Silveny went into a free fall, surely everything would be ok now? She felt so so free! Silveny continued plummeting and Sophie held on to her white mane. The ground grew closer and closer. The split second before they hit the ground Sophie realized Silveny wasn't going to be able to teleport. She screamed and woke up in a puddle of sweat. She was lying in a dark room, she saw figures on the floor around her and slowly she sat up. Her head throbbed and her vision was blurry. After a couple of minutes and a couple hundred of blinks, she could finally make out more details of the room she was in. 

It was the same room she had woke up in when she was captured. Except this time instead of pristine white walls and blindingly bright lights, the walls were cracked and covered with soot. The remaining lights flickered and hung from the ceiling.  Sophie slowly got up, her head hurt and her vision darkened as she went light headed. She carefully look around and almost fainted from the sight that met her eyes. The black figures that littered the floor were still. "No," Sophie whispered, the white eye patches of the Neverseen on the cloaks were blinding against the darkness and Sophie saw blood pooling on the floor next to an ashen faced agent. 

I did this, Sophie realized and felt tears sting her eyes. The Neverseen had hurt her, physically and mentally. They had left scars on her friends and they had killed Kenric. So why was she feeling this way? Wasn't this just some cruel form of justice? Sophie vomited,  she was becoming like the Neverseen. She hurt people without thinking of the consequences. Sophie heard a faint moan and looked up. It was Keefe, blood trickled down his forehead and matted his hair. "Help," he whispered and Sophie stumbled over to him. "Keefe," she whispered. She grabbed his hand and looked around for the rest of her friends. They were nowhere in sight. 

Sophie looked back at Keefe, he was shivering and his eyes were closed. Sophie wrapped her arms around his trembling torso and started transmitting peaceful feelings. She felt the trembling stop and she felt a weak pressure on her back when Keefe put his arms around her. The moment was broken when Sophie heard running footsteps "Sophie! Keefe! Wylie!"an urgent voice shouted piercing the deathly silence. Sophie opened her eyes and looked up.

Fitz ran toward her, his teal eyes sparkling with unshed tears. His step faltered slightly when he saw Sophie and Keefe hugging and Sophie quickly stepped away. "Sophie!!" Biana, Tam, Linh, and Dex were right behind Fitz. "I'm so glad you're okay," Fitz whispered and Linh ran over to Keefe, touching his forehead briefly, her hand came away with fresh blood. Her face was twisted into a frown. "We need to get out of here," Tam said, and Dex nodded in agreement. "Where's Wylie?" Sophie suddenly asked and reached her consciousness out to search for him. But she snatched it back when she caught the thoughts from some of the unconscious agents around them.

 A monster... 

Dangerous...

Maybe they're right...Sophie wondered. Before she could go any farther, there was a flash of light and Counciller Oralie appeared. She looked unusually disheveled and her circlet lay lopsided on her blonde head. "Come with me," She looked woridly at the destruction that surrounded them. "We can't leave without Wylie!" Sophie shouted and Oralie gave her a tight smile. Wylie was the one that notified me of your current pickle, do not worry. He is currently receiving the best care in all of the Lost Cities," Sophie sighed in relief and the light swept them all away.