Chapter 16

Sophie woke up in her bed at Havenfield. It had been a week since the battle with the Neverseen, and most of her wounds had healed. Physical wounds at least. Sophie closed her eyes as she remembered that terrible moment. Deep breaths

In

Out

Sophie felt her panic and guilt subside a little and decided to open her eyes. She slowly walked down the stairs to eat breakfast, petting Iggy on the way. She walked into the kitchen and saw Grady and Edaline sitting at the table whispering to each other and glancing at a scroll on the table. When they noticed her come in they stopped. "Sophie," Grady and Edaline got up and Edaline put a hand on her shoulder. "We have some bad news. Mr. Forkle, he...didn't make it..." 

Sophie blinked. Mr Forkle? Dead? She felt numb as she dropped to her knees. Tears streaked down her cheeks. "No! Please..." Sophie looked up at her tearful parents "Please tell the this isn't true!" Sophie shouted and her parents wrapped her in a hug. "I'm so sorry," Grady whispered. 

Sophie spent the rest of the day in her room grieving. Sophie knew her parents were concerned, but she knew better than to drown in grief. She...she just needed to sort some things out. Surprisingly, no one came to visit her. They probably needed to recover also.

The next day Sophie felt a little better, she went to go eat breakfast when she was again confronted by Grady and Edaline. They wordlessly handed her the scroll that she saw on the table yesterday. She frowned. It was from the Council. What could they want with me? Sophie wondered. She thought about it, and then decided it was better to not answer that question.

Sophie opened the scroll 

Dear Sophie Elizabeth Foster

After recent circumstances that we have become aware of, we have decided to hold a tribunial. We will try your case. After you left willingly with a known fugitive, and then engaged in a battle where you left 176 'Neverseen' agents injured and 14 dead. The trial will be held in two days hence you received this letter. You will be allowed 5 witnesses and 2 elves to argue against your case. If you are unsuccessful you will be imprisoned in Exile until further notice. 

Hoping you are well,

The Council

Sophie's hands shook as she crumpled the letter and threw it against the wall as hard as she could. A tribunial? But...but she'd done nothing wrong! Or have you? A little voice whispered. "Sophie! Are you Okay?" Sophie heard Edaline's concerned voice and shook her head. Tears threatened to spill out of Sophie's eyes.  What could she do now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the day of the tribunial and Sophie had never felt worse. "Oh meh Gooooddd," Sophie heard Vertina's voice as she dragged herself out of bed, not even bothering to brush her hair or look in the mirror. "Be quiet," Sophie grumbled as she put on her clothes.

She walked downstairs and felt her eyes widen when she saw what was going on. Dex and Fitz sat together, blushing for some reason. Tam and Biana were talking and Biana was giggling about something Tam had just said, while Tam grinned. Keefe and Linh sat at the back of the room in awkward silence. "Why are you here?" Sophie asked, weren't they afraid of her? Wasn't that why they'd been avoiding her? "Sophie!" They all shouted and ran towards her, embracing her in a group hug. "You guys," Sophie smiled for the first time in a week. "I love you guys," Sophie whispered. "We love you too Foster," Sophie heard Keefe whisper back.

Together they leaped to Eternalia and were met with a squad of goblins. They escorted Sophie and her friends into the building. Most of the people were already there and Sophie nervously sat in her seat. Keefe took her hand and Linh took her other.