Chapter Eight: The Code

Maria's POV:

The men set the code on the table and left. Teague whistled and the damn dog with the keys ran over. He hopped his front paws on the table. Teague grabbed the keys and the dog let go. I looked confused. Teague saw my face and said, "Sea turtles mate" Jack smirked. Teague unlocked the code and opened the book. He read through the pages. "Ah Barbossa is right." He said. "Hang on a minute." Jack said. I watched Jack read over the code. "Fancy that" Jack finally said.

"There's not been a king since the first court and that is not likely to change." Chevalle said. "Why not?" I asked Gibbs. "You see the pirate king is elected by popular vote." Gibbs said. "And each pirate only ever votes for he self." Barbossa added. "I call for a vote." Jack called up. Teague began to play the guitar.

"I vote for Ammand the corsair" Ammand said

"Capitaine Chevalle the penniless Frenchman" Chevalle said

"Sri Sumbhajee votes for Sri Sumbhajee" another assistant said

"Mistress Ching" Ching said

"Gentleman Jocard" Jocard yelled

"Elizabeth Swann" She said

"Barbossa" Barbossa said rolling his eyes

"Villanueva" Villanueva shouted

"Elizabeth Swann" Jack said.

"What?" Elizabeth and I asked. "I know curious isn't it." He said. Suddenly an argument went up. "Am I to understand that you'd rather not be keeping to the code then?" Jack asked. I heard Teague break a guitar string. The lords sat down. "Very well. What say you Captain Swann King of the Brethren court?" Ching asked. "Prepare every vessel that floats. At dawn. We're at war." She said. I saw Jack nod with approval. Sri Sumbhajee stood and said in a very high pitch voice, "And so....we shall go to war." Jack and I both cocked our heads and sneered weirdly. The lords began to file out. I went to the other end of the table to Jack who was turned to Teague. Weirdly Teague and Jack looked similar.

Teague saw me coming and stopped talking. I came to Jack's side. "Who's the lass?" Teague asked. "This is Maria. She's part of me crew." Jack said. "I can tell she's more than that Jackie." Teague said. "Your right about that." Jack said wrapping an arm around me. "Well Maria I hope me son doesn't ruin your good spirit." Teague said. "Son?" I asked. "Aye" Jack said. We left Teague and went to the ship. I stood on the deck of the pearl. I stared at the fortress Shipwreck Cove. I felt Jack lean on the rail next to me. "I now know why you don't like to come back here." I said. "You were raised here." I said. "Aye" He said. We were silent for a while. "It's beautiful." I said staring up. "Espscially at night" "It's something." He said. He moved in closer. "But your better to look at." He whispered.

I smiled. "Is there anything else I need to know about you?" I asked. "I would tell you." He said. "but you'll have to get it out of me." I turned to him. "How will I ever do that? You are said to have survived many forms of torture and never said a word." I said. He came close to me and backed me against the wall to the galley way. He leaned over me. "How indeed" he said. A breeze ruffled his white shirt. Without his coat Jack looked slimmer and more muscled. He wrapped an arm around my waist.

"You know this could be our last night together." I said. We both knew what would await us tomorrow. "I know." he whispered. He leaned forward quickly and caressed my lips.

Jack's POV:

The kisses we shared became more shall we say urgent. I picked Maria up into my arms and carried her to me cabins. I set her down and backed towards me bed. We fell back. I wrapped my arms around her tightly. Suddenly she stopped. She looked at me. "Jack I can't do this." She said. "Come now lass. You once killed six men at one time, why is this worse?" I asked. "Because I know if I let you have what you want you will be done with me." She said. "I thought you said you missed me terribly?" I asked. "I did. Jack I love you, but I don't know if you love me." she said. "What makes you think I don't?" I questioned. "Your reputation." She said.

I didn't understand what was happening. First she was in tears over my death and now she doesn't trust me to love her. "You want to know something?" I asked. "The entire time I was in the Locker I kept thinking of you. Well before I started commanding a crew of me self." She laughed. She didn't say a word. She pressed her lips to mine kissing me passionately. "Plus with Barbossa on board I don't think we want to wake him." She said pulling away. I laughed.

I rolled over causing her to roll with me. I lay atop her and smiled. "Will you stay?" I asked. "I don't know. Persuade me." She said. I took her hand in mine and placed it on me chest. With her skin against mine it felt good. We shared more passionate kisses and finally fell asleep in each others arms.