Chapter 14

Sean led me to an old beat-up, faded red 1980's Ford Mustang.

"Nice car," I said.

"She's my pride and love," he replied, opening the passenger door for me. I slid into the passenger seat and he shut the door, coming around to the driver's side. He revved the engine, which roared to life, and then began driving.

We drove in silence for quite some time. I stared out the window, watching the streets pass by in a blur of people and lights. As time stretched forward, I found that the streets became less crowded, the lights had grown fewer, and the buildings were more dispersed. I wondered where we were going.

"Tori?" I heard, feeling someone shaking me awake.

I blinked.

It was dark out and I was sitting in a strange vehicle that was not my own. I looked around me to the source of the voice and the poking and realized that Sean was standing at the passenger side of the door looking down at me.

I opened my mouth to say something, but he beat me to it.

"You fell asleep twenty minutes ago," he said, holding his hand out. I gazed up at him, still confused because I couldn't remember why I was in the car in the first place. Nonetheless, I took his hand, mostly for the fact that he was holding it out so willingly and I just wanted to hold his hand.

Sean helped me out of the car and locked it. He led me to a blanket that lay on the ground. I took this moment to look around me and observe my surroundings.

We were most definitely not in New York City anymore.

At the moment, I was standing on a grassy ledge. Behind me was a dirt road, which led to a paved, winding road. At the edge of the ledge, there was a rusty railing. But this wasn't the fascinating part of the scene.

Looking out from the ledge, I could see the entire city, or at least what looked like it. There were a million twinkling yellow and white lights. The buildings were miniscule from our height. We must have been on one of those tall cliffs that could be seen from the far distance in the city. I had always wanted to go to those cliffs, but didn't know how. And now, I was standing on one of them with quite possibly the hottest guy I knew.

I turned to this hot guy now.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"It's a secret," Sean replied.

"It's not a secret if I'm here," I pointed out.

"Of course it is. You have no idea where we are or how we got here. Therefore, it's a secret," he replied, his eyes as bright as the lights from the city below.

"Touché..." I said slowly, looking back at the city. "Why did you bring me here?" I asked.

"You looked upset when you walked out of the studio. I thought you could use a place to let your emotions out," he answered.

I looked at him, a small smile on my lips. He looked back at me, returning the smile. Then he sat down on the blanket, drawing his arms around his knees. He looked up at me expectantly. I shrugged and sat next to him, pulling my own knees up to my chest.

It was a chilly evening. Fall had already settled in and the leaves were beginning to change colors. This meant that winter was a few short months away and then the ground would be covered in snow. It was crazy how quickly time seemed to pass by, not taking care of the world around it, not waiting for the world to catch up.

I shuddered against the cool breeze. I had only my thin white top on and my jeans. The chiffon of my shirt didn't really protect me from the chill of the air surrounding us.