Chapter 19

I grumbled to myself as I typed an e-mail to yet another board member. It was really obnoxious that I had to write Aunt Joliet's e-mails for her. I mean, honestly, how hard is it to write an e-mail saying 'This month's board meeting will be at the Crowne Plaza, on the 29th of October'? I mean, yes, I had to be a little more fancy and elaborate than that. But it wasn't that difficult. She could have totally written them herself instead of making me sit here and write them.

I guess I was bitter because this was my last task of the day before I could rush into the expansive and beautiful bathrooms of Belleza to get dressed for my date.

My date.

I was going out on a date with Sean. Sean Parker. AKA Hottie McHot-Hot.

How did I get so lucky?

I felt my phone buzz and looked down. It was yet another text from Maya. This time she was asking me if I was ready yet. I rolled my eyes and continued to type the e-mail I was working on. My phone buzzed again. This time it was from Sean.

Sean: 1 hour :)

I smiled at the text, feeling my cheeks warm up a bit.

"Victoria!" I heard a sharp voice call out. I snapped my head up to see my aunt standing with her hands on her hips. I noticed she did that a lot. I wondered why. Maybe it was to feel more authoritative and in-control. To me, she just looked like an aggravated pre-teen.

"Yes?" I asked.

"What did I say about texting while on the job?" she asked, raising a perfectly arched eyebrow.

"You said not to do it," I replied.

"And so?" she prodded. I smirked at her, stretching out my tired fingers.

"And so, obviously, being me, I do it," I replied smartly. She gave me a look which I returned with a blank, innocent stare.

"Remember, you're being paid now. I can fire you in an instant," she said.

"You could have fired me before. And I'll have you remember that I didn't want this job in the first place. By firing me, you'll admit defeat," I pointed out. She furrowed her brows, clearly annoyed with my snippy attitude. Some things never change.

"Oh, I won't fire you just yet," she said, smirking evilly at me. I felt a shudder run down my spine. She really did remind me of the evil Queen from Snow White.

Mirror, mirror.

On the wall.

Who's the biggest bitch of them all?

Your Highness, the Queen...

"I talked to your mother on the phone the other day," she said, crossing her arms and leaning against the door frame of her office. My attention was drawn at this.

My mother? I hadn't spoken to her since...well, since she first left. She never had the time to call. I would get the occasional text asking how Peter and I were doing and if I was behaving. But other than that, no contact. And Dad? Dad was even worse. I didn't even get texts from him. But that was understandable since where he was, there was little to no internet or cell-phone service. Occasionally I would get an e-mail from him asking the same things Mom asked. But besides that, I rarely heard from him.

As I was thinking this, I realized how horrible my parents really were. They were so busy in their professional lives that they had completely forgotten about their own two children that they left behind in New York City. Well, in about a month, they would be back and have to deal with us then.