Chapter 20

I sat on my bed, still in my pajamas Saturday morning, retelling the amazing events of the night before, to Maya, who had come over bright and early to hear about it.

"Wow, he totally gets points for being creative," she said. I nodded, unable to get the silly smile off my face.

I sighed and leaned back against my pillows.

"It's like...he's perfect in every single way possible," I said. "He's funny, smart, extremely nice, and incredibly attractive," I listed. I let out another sigh.

"Well, what's wrong with that?" Maya asked, eyeing my nail polish collection and then glancing at her chipped nails.

"There's something off about him. He's hiding something. I can tell from the way he acts and says some things," I replied.

"I think you're comparing him to Lucas. The one relationship you had started out with you thinking it was perfect. And then it ended up not being that. Maybe Sean's different. There doesn't always have to be a problem," Maya told me. She grabbed a neon orange bottle of nail polish and uncapped it, testing the color on her thumbnail.

"I don't know. There's something he's not telling me," I said.

"What do you think it is?" she asked. I shrugged.

"I have no idea, but for some odd reason, I think it has to do with Jaque," I answered, sitting up and facing her.

"Jaque? The designer guy?" Maya asked. I nodded. "What makes you think that?" she questioned.

"Well, it's just that they're really close. I see them talking all the time. And last night, I noticed that Sean said a lot of the things Jaque sometimes says. It can't be a coincidence. There's something going on there, and I'm burning to know," I explained.

"He'll tell you when the time comes," Maya said. I let out an aggravated sigh.

"That's the thing! I don't think he will!" I exclaimed. "If he wanted to tell me, he would have told me by now. We've known each other for almost three months. I've told him so much about myself. He knows almost everything there is to know about me. And I still don't know anything about him," I said.

Maya frowned.

"Maybe he has trust issues," she suggested. I groaned, falling back into my pillows again, pulling one over my face. "Let's talk about something else," she said. I mumbled into my pillow as a response.

"Are you still getting lunch with Lucas tomorrow?" she asked. I groaned again, sitting up.

"Don't remind me," I said.

"I think you two need closure," she said.

"Don't even stick up for him," I retorted, pointing a finger at her. She blew on her newly painted nails, which were now neon orange.

"I'm not. I just think it's stupid that you both are still at a crossroads with each other. Just tell him that you have a boyfriend now and that he should move on, but that you two can still be friends as long as he's not a complete douchebag all the time," Maya said.

"I'm pretty sure I've told him I'm not interested," I pointed out.

"Exactly. You have to tell him you're not available," she said. I tapped my chin with my finger, thinking.

She was right, of course. If I told him I had a boyfriend now, which I did, he would have to back off. But closure? Did I really want to be friends with Lucas? He was my ex-boyfriend. Things would be incredibly awkward if we ever hung out. Besides, we were graduating soon enough. It's not like the friendship would last, anyway. No, I would just tell him that he needs to move on just like I did. No harm done; it was time to go to the next chapter of our lives.