Rain

Josh's POV

"We have to do this soon, they'll move Tyler otherwise...what if we can't find him? " I think, before waiting for Gerard's reply. Lately I've grown more used to him being in my head, I still don't like it, but it's not as terrifying as it was. Just uncomfortable.

We need a better plan first, Spooky. More thorough. I hear

No Gerard. We're doing it today. OK, today. They'll be coming for us soon and you know what to do. Promise me...I need you

Only silence follows.

After what feels like hours of waiting, he finally answers. Fine.

I don't reply. I don't want to push it. He's agreed, I'll leave it at that.

I look around the cell that I've spent over a decade of my life in.

I know every part of it like the back of my hand. I know every crack in the wall, I know the slight dents in the bed frame, I know the shapes of every blood stain on the floor and the position of every bit of flaky paint on the bars.

And as strange as it sounds, I'm scared to leave it.

No matter what happens today, no matter if we get out or if I die, this is the last time I'll ever be within these four concrete walls that are all I've known since I was a teenager.

I don't even know what the outside world is like anymore.

And all too soon,  the cell door slides open and for the first time in my life I wish it wasn't so soon.

I don't stand up immediately, I just stare at the open door and the guards beyond until one of them shouts, "17354! Get out here!", banging his baton against the bars to make me flinch.

When I get into line with the other inmates that are out of their cells I'm full of nervous energy. I know I have to do this. I don't have a choice anymore, but I also know that our chances are poor to say the least.

We walk slowly towards the shower block. Taking the same route that I have every day I've been here, past the same cells, under the same lights and round the same corners, And I'm doing it for the last time. That is certain.

We start as normal. I stand against the wall and begin to unbutton my jumpsuit slowly. For the last time. But as I glance up, I catch Gerard's eye.

Now? I think.

Now. He replies

And immediately something new happens, something I haven't seen once in the eleven years I've been here.

Gerard's eyes close in concentration and every other inmate in the room leaps towards the guards, pinning them down so quickly that they can't even scream before they're down.

They struggle of course and make muffled cries, but we ignore them.

For a tense few seconds I wait for the alarm to sound. But it doesn't come. We did it fast enough.

Gerard's eyes open and he smiles at me weakly, the effort of controlling so many others getting to him already.

"You got this?" I ask.

He nods.

I run over to one of the incapacitated guards and reach past the man that I recognise as the one who leant me paper just a week or so prior, to grab the key card and ID off the guard's belt. Gerard does the same with another man nearby.

Next, we run to a door that I've seen on the other side of the shower room countless times, but I've only seen it open once.

It's a locker room.