Surprise Surprise

You wake up Monday morning and get ready for school. You get dressed and head to the cafeteria with your backpack full of writing supplies. You yawn as you sit down at the table with your breakfast. "Rough night?" Makoto Naegi asked. You nod. "Snowball fight until midnight." You say with a small smile. "It was positively awesome!" Ibuki said, plopping down next to you. "You c-could've caught a cold o-or worse!" Mikan said. You roll your eyes before reaching into your bag for a paper to scribble an idea on. You search but can't find anything that hasn't been used. "Oh man... I'm out of supplies..." "I'm not surprised with all the writing you do." A familiar monotone voice said. You turn to see Peko standing behind you.

"Peko!" You exclaim. She smiles faintly. "I was going to the store after school. You can come if you like." Peko said. You nod and smile. You eat breakfast and head to class with the others. You take your seat and watch the usual routine of Kazuichi trying to impress Sonia. "Kazuichi please stop!" Sonia said. "Y-yes Miss Sonia!" Kazuichi apologized. "Hmph. Insufferable human." Gundham muttered, taking his seat in front of you. You accidentally knock your backpack off the desk, spilling what was inside. You jump up and start to pick up the papers and notebooks when Hiyoko picks up a paper. She reads it and smirks, and your eyes widen as you realize what was written on it. "Hey everyone, I have a story to tell you that the Ultimate Writer wrote!" Hiyoko announced. "Hiyoko don't...!" You plead. She ignores you as she starts reading the paper.

"I can't help but feel weird when he comes around. I melt when he smiles at me and my day brightens when I see him. I'm afraid of telling him that because I don't want to ruin our friendship. He's my childhood friend, but I couldn't help but fall for him. My best friend, Fu-" "HIYOKO STOP PLEASE!" You yell, tears threatening to fall. You grab the paper out of her hand and stuff it in your backpack. "Can you finish the story?" Kazuichi asks. "No! Nonononono! I-it's not a story!" You say, staring at the ground. "I'll finish it for you!" Hiyoko said. You stare at her in horror. "The end is, 'My best friend Fuyuhiko.'! Isn't it great!" Hiyoko laughed. Your face burns as tears fall. You refuse to look at Fuyuhiko or anyone.

"Don't fuck with me! (Y/n), don't tell me... You said it wasn't a story... So is that true?!" Fuyuhiko asked. You could hear... hope? in his words. You don't answer. You jump up clutching your backpack and run out of the room, knocking over your chair. You hear Mahiru yelling and Hiyoko laughing as you run down the halls. You run into the bathroom and drop your backpack near the sink as you slide down to the floor. You bury your head in your arms as you pull your knees up to your chest. The bathroom door opens and someone sits next to you. You glance up to see Sonia. "Will you be alright? I'm sorry for what Hiyoko did. And for what Fuyuhiko said." Sonia said. "The worst part is," you say into your shirt. "Is that it's true. I fell in love with my best friend."